Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a customer, 2015 2500 Silverado 6.2. Just turned 25k so he wants to start doing a few performance tweaks. Cold air and a tuner.

Hoping someone has some experience with some of the programmers being offered for this. Sold him a Hypertech for his last truck some years ago. Looked in Atech and saw what looks like 20 0ptions in several brands, hoping some of you have seen some of these work personally. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
If you have a couple of days to ship out the ECM I can it with our $149 mail in tune special which includes return shipping. We go much father into the tuning then the main stream handhelds. I also just happen to have that exact truck so I spent a ton of time on that file. Even with overnight shipping it's far less than most programmers.

I do several of these per day so if you're interested ship it in anytime. Link;

http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.com/store.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=127

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have a couple of days to ship out the ECM I can it with our $149 mail in tune special which includes return shipping. We go much father into the tuning then the main stream handhelds. I also just happen to have that exact truck so I spent a ton of time on that file. Even with overnight shipping it's far less than most programmers.

http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.com/store.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=127
Thanks for the responses, we live at 7000 ft. elevation so gas burners have trouble breathing. Will run it by the customer...

·
11,420 Posts

Do you do the same for the 5.3? I have a 2015 Sierra 1500. Been looking into a tune as well. Do you do and programming to the drive by wire system? I know BAD Diesel has a inline box to plug in the removes the delay in the stock system. Can be turned up to level 4 which is equivalent to 300% throttle from the second you hit the pedal. Throttle response sucks in my truck. Feels like 2 seconds before the truck moves. I know it's not that delayed. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,709 Posts

Can you do the new 2017 silverado 6.2 w/8 speed tranny?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
We can pretty much tune any GM V8 post 1997 and literally have over 20,000 tune files in my "library". Only problem with the newer auto's is if you want shifts changed or higher trans pressures, then I need to send a programmer since that is a separate module which is in the transmission. That increases the price a fair amount unfortunately, the programmer is $350 by itself without the tune file. The difference is then you can send me log files to make sure the car or truck is spot on, but the price jumped to $500 and that is more expensive than most programmers. Albeit a better tune.

Engine tuning no problem with bolt on type mods, air boxes-headers-etc, those are $149. Internally modded cars/trucks (cam swap or larger cubic inch) come as a "start up tune file" since there are too many variables to send as race ready.

The ECM can be removed without tools, I take it out at hotels when I'm trailering, good luck stealing it without towing it now.

2016 and 2017 cars are $249 because the tuning software companies got cute and no longer allow us to purchase master licences, we have to pay $100 per vehicle.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
We can pretty much tune any GM V8 post 1997 and literally have over 20,000 tune files in my "library". Only problem with the newer auto's is if you want shifts changed or higher trans pressures, then I need to send a programmer since that is a separate module which is in the transmission. That increases the price a fair amount unfortunately, the programmer is $350 by itself without the tune file. The difference is then you can send me log files to make sure the car or truck is spot on, but the price jumped to $500 and that is more expensive than most programmers. Albeit a better tune.

Engine tuning no problem with bolt on type mods, air boxes-headers-etc, those are $149. Internally modded cars/trucks (cam swap or larger cubic inch) come as a "start up tune file" since there are too many variables to send as race ready.

The ECM can be removed without tools, I take it out at hotels when I'm trailering, good luck stealing it without towing it now.

2016 and 2017 cars are $249 because the tuning software companies got cute and no longer allow us to purchase master licences, we have to pay $100 per vehicle.
This should do?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Do you do the same for the 5.3? I have a 2015 Sierra 1500. Been looking into a tune as well. Do you do and programming to the drive by wire system? I know BAD Diesel has a inline box to plug in the removes the delay in the stock system. Can be turned up to level 4 which is equivalent to 300% throttle from the second you hit the pedal. Throttle response sucks in my truck. Feels like 2 seconds before the truck moves. I know it's not that delayed. Thanks in advance

Yes I can reprogram the sensitivity of the throttle. The newer ECM's function differently than the older ones do. Instead of having set values that the engine runs off of, it works off of tq request system.

So the throttle is not set in the way off 50% throttle equals 50% opening as an example, it requests X amount of tq at 50% throttle. So in a high altitude 50% throttle may need 75% throttle opening to achieve the tq value GM wanted it to make there. So I can easily raise those values at each throttle setting.

The downside to this method of tuning for the end user is that if you were in a situation where the air quality is great and wide open throttle could make (for a round number) 500 ft lbs of tq, but GM wants it capped at 450, then it will close the throttle on you slightly to achieve the 450 it requested. I see no fun in that so I make sure that won't happen. Amongst several other things of course.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts

I have a 98 1500 4x4. What can I expect for gains and how much do I need to spend?

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Buy an SCT device and get a custom tune from a reputable tuner. My tuner specializes in Ford, GM and Mopar.
He has the fastest tune only EcoBoost F-150, SHO/Flex and Mustang. The guy is a Wizard.

I have ran and tested literally hundreds of tunes in my EcoBoost F150. From every tuner available.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I have a 98 1500 4x4. What can I expect for gains and how much do I need to spend?
Sorry I wasn't more specific, but with trucks we start with 2000. We do not have the software for the Vortech throttle body engine, but it would have been $149 for the engine and trans.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Sorry I wasn't more specific, but with trucks we start with 2000. We do not have the software for the Vortech throttle body engine, but it would have been $149 for the engine and trans.
Thanks. Ya had My hopes up for a min:rolleyes: This is what I have been told by all My local tuners.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts

Is it possible to get the tune out of the ecm if the truck has to go back to a GM dealership for warranty?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Is it possible to get the tune out of the ecm if the truck has to go back to a GM dealership for warranty?
Yes but I would need to see the ECM again. It has it's downsides mailing it in, but the price is reasonable so...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Don't waste your money on a canned tune. Go with a custom tune from VetteRacer or the like. I've seen several tuners on my dyno. HP gain is very very little. I see they jack up shift pressures and points more than anything. Makes it feel like its marching harder. Cold air intakes are kinda wichcraft too. They make their power numbers way up in the rpm range where you aren't driving the truck 90% of the time. Especially at 7000'. Biggest benefit is longer service intervals. A new clean paper air filter will flow all the air your 5.3 will need. Best money spent would be Cat-back, Headers, tune, in that order. Find a set of 1.75" headers. 1.875" are too big.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
VetteRacer100 aka Doug knows his stuff. He tuned two different vette's for me, and I couldn't have been more pleased. I would highly recommend him.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts