Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im building a 357 small block chevy,i already have the block that i got from competition products. block has already been machined, the rotating assembley is a forged eagle crank,forged h beam rods 5.7 and mahle forged pistons at 10.6 compression.

heads are dart iron eagle platium series heads 215 runners 64cc 2.05/1.60 valves with roller springs.

the cam i bought is a herbert solid roller
cam spec is 287/300....253/[email protected]/[email protected]

intake is a single plane weiand with a demon 750 carb.
headers are 1 3/4 that step to 1 7/8

this motor is going into a 88 mustang, 2950 lbs with driver.
4.33 gears
ati 4600 8 inch stall
turbo 350 that is built to handle 600 hp

what i would like to no is what kind of power this should make? and will i be able to run pump gas.

ive been reading alot about what is safe to run on pump gas,some say as long as you have under 200 cranking compression you can run it. is that only for a aluminum head? what would be safe for a cast iron head?

the motor i just blew up was a 355 with the same heads and a little smaller cam ran 11.00 best was a 10.93 should this new combo run a little quicker?

thanks for any advice!!!

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I think 10.6 is pussing it with a steel head ! I think the cam will work ok, The intake "Weiand" will need some work to work well. IMO
Should run pretty good.

What was the old cam and combo.

T-flow

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the cam was a herbert 282/291...244/255...585/[email protected]

the old combo had a cast scat 9000 crank eagle 5.7 sir i beam rod, and cheap keith black hyper piston at 10.1 compression. same heads and intake,carb....rod let loose and went threw the block and pan. i ran that motor for 6 years and i race it 2 or 3 times a week. 300 passes a year. ran pump gas most of the time,sometimes i would mix with 110.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Think you went the right way, that should be ok on pump gas (91+) with a cam that big even though the heads are iron... thing got decent quench?

Depends on what else is hooked to the motor but it should make 500hp I would think

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dont know about the quench,will be taken to shop this week to have the short block put together. i wanted to go 383 but i couldnt find what i wanted on compression ratio. was looking at about 10.5 for 383. already bought rotating kit,so now i will just use it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts