Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I are going to look at a 65 Impala tomorrow and was wondering what(if any) problem area's to look for? Do they rot out in certain area's, etc? All I know right now is it has no motor or trans. I think this thing is sitting outside too. So knowing what to look for underneath would help a lot, lol. It's suppose to be an SS if it matters.

Also, I have a 12 bolt from a 67 Chevelle. Will this bolt in, or is it too narrow? And can I get a 10.5x28 slick on it fairly easy?

Thanks for any and all help! :cool:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. I didn't realize the suspension was different either. I was hoping to use some of the stuff I all ready have, lol.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Bottom of fenders, bottom of rear quarter panels, lower back window panel in the corners, floors, etc. Chevelle rears don't fit but a 9" can be bought for $1000 (housing and axles). I have a 12 bolt with the 4th link bracket on it but they are getting harder to find. There is also a thread on here dedicated to this car - http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198120&page=103

·
In Glock I Trust
6,655 Posts
Ya wanna sale that chevelle rear end?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Under the trim were thr roof and quarters meet in front of the rear tires, behind front tires on fender front of hood under trunk seal area hidden under the bumper is a strip. All areas known to rust on body. Look at the x in the frame that rots easy and the floor braces are prone to hold junk and rust

·
Aviation Section
25,487 Posts
They still had the 409 in 1965 but it is rare, if you see one in the car you are looking at and don't want the car, PM me and I will buy it! Dave

·
Registered
487 Posts
Oh yea! Almost forgot, drivers side were the door hinges bolt to the body water tends to get past the windshield slip thru all the sealer and make its way to the bottom right above the rocker and right under the bottom hinge area. Ive restored a 65 and am in the process of doing a 64 and 65 right now. If i could start over i would have dipped and ecoated the entire body

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya wanna sale that chevelle rear end?
It's been in the classifieds twice. I can't ship it though.

And thanks again for all the advice, guys. About the only area that WAS solid were the door jams and the floors behind the front seat. Even the trunk lid was rotted all the way across above the bumper. I like these cars, but I don't want a basket case either.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They still had the 409 in 1965 but it is rare, if you see one in the car you are looking at and don't want the car, PM me and I will buy it! Dave
I would have bought it if it had a 409, lol. It was so bad I didn't bother to ask him what it came with. I did think it was odd that a car that big had manual steering though.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 12 bolt with the 4th link bracket on it but they are getting harder to find.
This car had four control arms on it, and the brackets for what I guess would be like a pan hard bar? But the bar was missing. It was a 12 bolt though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts