Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am racing a 2 day event, today was qualifying tomorrow is eliminations.
I have a PTC converter, we tried a new stator and it is still too tight, 2% slip ! 7000rpm over the line @160mph with 3.7 gears and 28.5 tires.
It also bogs the engine down on the gearchange, 6000 instead of 7000 ( it is a glide ) I have type F fluid in it as that is what PTC said.
I really need to loosen it up it is a turbo car ran 8.8 @160, used to run [email protected] at 8000 rpm.
Would putting synthetic dex 3 loosen it up ? may make it spool quicker too ! ( that would also help !! )
any tips would be greatly appreciated :yawinkle:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
A lighter viscosity will increase stall and that will depend on the viscosity difference as to how much. Just be cautious about using a fluid that has frictional modifiers in it. For that could fry your clutchs with slippage.

Blessings.....Ron.

·
Super Moderator
19,471 Posts
Oil won't even come close to fixing or even helping your problem. When type F is hot , there is no oil with less viscosity. Redline makes a low visc racing oil but once again , won't help you. Are you sure you don't have another problem?

Hutch

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i don't know if there is another problem. what else can cause high lockup ? We do have high line pressure 270 psi.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking more of a motor way down on power.

Hutch
well, I am not going to doubt you on this, however on a different converter it had the slip, this ptc was mega tight, got a new stator and it appears to be the same. same rpm on the drop same lock up etc.
However I did find 2 broken ign leads which won't help !
but still ran 160 @ 7000 rpm, if it was down i doubt it would do that.

Tried half the fluid didn't really do any change, however 1 pass where i was on the 3 step for a bit it did drop to 6800 on the shift whaich was good and go over the line at 7500 rpm, which also is good, but got no timecard for that run :(
now this meeting is done I will call PTC but would rather see if I can sort it without hassling them too much.

Oh this is meeting 2 that the new box / converter has survived so I am very happy !

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When did you find the broken ign leads? Did you fix them and make another pass?

Hutch
I noticed the leads after the 2nd pass yesterday, when I thought he car sounded a bit off.
It was a bit weird, when it was in nuetral a free rev it would stumble a bit, in the burnout it would take a bit to get up, but when the revs came up it seemed pretty okay. I was unable to fix the leads for the last pass. so ran it as is.
it got a bit skatey so had to back off.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Fix the engine/ign problem first. If your making 1000 hp and have 8 cylinders, thats 125 hp each cylinder X 2 you are down 250+ hp.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will do that, the funny thing it wasn't missing like the lead was off,but just not 100% maybe it is enough to drop that cylinders full capacity.
it is a 91mm turbo on a little 331 windsor after all !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts