Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 67 chevy ll . Previous owner did not have it long or know much about it. Drove the car for the first time yesterday and it seems like it doesn't want ti shift unless the rpms are high. When it shifts it chirps the tires. I want my wife to be able to drive this car and it to have good manors. Seems like it had to be up over 60mph to go into 4th. Is this something that can be tamed down by adjusting the tv cable or will I have to pull the valvebody out and try to see what has been done to it? It will shift on its own at high rpms and if you shift it manually it still wont shift till its up in the rpm range.. 383 sbc. Nothing special. Maybe 400 hp. Thanks Tom

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I would make sure the TV cable is adjusted properly, and the governor isn't hanging up.

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
Just back off the cable in tiny increments PROVIDING the cable is tight now. The trans also has a safety ball which puts the trans to high line when the cable is off or too slack. Cable should be snug right from idle to be functioning properly.

Hutch

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I unhooked it and drove it and no change, just seen hutchs post about the the safety check ball so that wasnt a good test, cable has tenson on it at idle, i will check governor to make sure its free.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Attach a gauge first. Small 1/8" pipe plug (7/16 head) just behind and above the shifter lever. You can look to a manual for proper pressures in all ranges, but basically OD and D should have approx 75 psi at idle and increase to 165 (and higher) at wot. If your pressure is 130-150 at idle then your problem is TV pressure.... not governor.
If the trans is shifting extremely firm my guess is your problem is TV.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I will give that a try. I have a gauge I can hook up on it tomorrow . I will report back in. .

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to let you guys know that it was a Tv cable adjustment. Trans works great now. Thanks for the support guys!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts