Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
time to go racing yet ?
36,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats a good budget recipe for a 650-700hp ls motor build ? if possible id like to keep it EFI {methanol if possible}

i know there was a thread somewhere on here about a guy making a ton of power with milling heads and just stock pistons/rods .

thanks

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Cam and turbo....

N/A in my opinion you will be looking at quite a bit more coin.
Most people definition of budget is the less money the better and with the numbers you want I think a cam and turbo is going to be the cheapest.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't think budget N/A build and 700hp go together... I'm doing an LSA headed 408 right now, should make that power.. It's not a cheap engine though.
agreed I think a lot of these builds are internet fairytale builds.......

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
on a 408 700hp is 1.71hp/cube
That's stout for a N/A small block, and to do that on a budget... I just can't see it happening..

I mean my customer bought the 6.0 block from another one of my customers, already had the main and head studs in it.. And was already 4.030 bore finished.. For $750.. It would have cost well over a grand to duplicate that..
Then he found some LSA heads on ls1tech.. $725 shipped...
That's as budget as it gets... Compstar crank and rods, diamond pistons, bullet cam, holley hi-ram, Holley EFI, not cheap things.

·
time to go racing yet ?
36,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think budget N/A build and 700hp go together... I'm doing an LSA headed 408 right now, should make that power.. It's not a cheap engine though.

ok , budget as compaired to a gen 1 sbc . im currently building a new FED , and have 2 options . 1 is a cheap assed ls motor . or build a complete new gen 1 based sbc . and we all know that will be alot more than a ls based motor .....

i guess if its alittle less in power that wouldnt hurt , i just want to be around that 650 range . that should get me into the low 8's if not alittle better with a 1400lb car .....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well I know 3pedals who I good friends with used a junkyard 6.0L made into a carb set up with a msd box and a custom grind cam, and few other little things and he made that power. Go search his topics started.

His most recent one with a stock 6.0L turbo that produced 1067fwhp.

So 6.0L making 650 on a budget does exist.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Link below to 3pedals
This is what I'm gonna build but with EFI...

not too shabby for a JUNKYARD DOG
30Kmile LY6
850 Mighty Demon on a 1" open spacer, on a L92 VIC Jr( injector bosses removed from runners)
Edelbrock 1 3/4"-1 7/8" headers
head cut for 11.0:1 compression no real porting, just cleaned up
OEM pistons flycut .070"
Bret Bauer spec'd cam(236/262,110, .6xx, .625") and valvesprings, pushrods.
30K mile oem lifters
ARP head studs and rod bolts
moroso electric waterpump, no other acc.
98 Fbody pan, tray
93 octane pump gas
31* timing, verified with a pinned ATI damper and timing light
12.8 A/F

·
Registered
466 Posts
It can be done, but budget is relative. The whole trick to making big power on a budget w/ an LS is getting it to make big power w/ a stock-ish valvetrain and heads. An LS3 ported head is capable of the power, but needs .700 lift, not possible w/ stock rockers and the cheap rollers are nothing but trouble. Other option is go LS7 head and sleeved 5.3 block. I have a couple of pro-touring 6.0 builds just starting, may be mod-able to fit your requirements. DM me, I have a few ideas for you, but easier to talk. The typing kills me.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
26,091 Posts
Link below to 3pedals
This is what I'm gonna build but with EFI...

not too shabby for a JUNKYARD DOG
30Kmile LY6
850 Mighty Demon on a 1" open spacer, on a L92 VIC Jr( injector bosses removed from runners)
Edelbrock 1 3/4"-1 7/8" headers
head cut for 11.0:1 compression no real porting, just cleaned up
OEM pistons flycut .070"
Bret Bauer spec'd cam(236/262,110, .6xx, .625") and valvesprings, pushrods.
30K mile oem lifters
ARP head studs and rod bolts
moroso electric waterpump, no other acc.
98 Fbody pan, tray
93 octane pump gas
31* timing, verified with a pinned ATI damper and timing light
12.8 A/F
why would you copy a combo that ate the valve train not long into it running..that combos was copied once also an didnt run no better then mid 10s..the old l92 notch back combo has been copied also an no ones ran 9s with that one either..the lift specs on the combo above was wrong..combo to copy would be bill fickleys deal that ed curtis did the cam to.. bills combo is .080 off the heads,fly cuts,950 carb,vic jr intake,2" spacer..contact ed curtis..if you get them in the 12.0-13-0 range you can get 650ish out them with basic bolt ons..

i have one with .100 off heads an .150 fly cuts to lq9 pistons for 12.5-1 comp an pump gas friendly

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was going to do some upgrades, to the build as well as have Lloyd Elliot port my heads like he did my 565 heads. Im interested in a 12:5-1 combo as long as I can run on pump gas. I have a 63 Nova its going in fun driver and race car. I have a 6.0L LQ4 sitting waiting

why would you copy a combo that ate the valve train not long into it running..that combos was copied once also an didnt run no better then mid 10s..the old l92 notch back combo has been copied also an no ones ran 9s with that one either..the lift specs on the combo above was wrong..combo to copy would be bill fickleys deal that ed curtis did the cam to.. bills combo is .080 off the heads,fly cuts,950 carb,vic jr intake,2" spacer..contact ed curtis..if you get them in the 12.0-13-0 range you can get 650ish out them with basic bolt ons..

i have one with .100 off heads an .150 fly cuts to lq9 pistons for 12.5-1 comp an pump gas friendly

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
26,091 Posts
wiesco makes 4cc dome pistons for stock rods around $475 if you dont want to mill and fly cut..lq4s have a 6.6cc dish to them..if you port the heads then id swap up valve events depending on intake used also..the pump gas thing is off the cam,my dynamic is 8.6 on my deal..my cam is large for a rec port head if looked at lsa but its close with out fly cutting its a 239/255 dur,115 lsa + _ an set up to go 7800..i have about .050 clearance with my .150 fly cuts still so i have a 251-259 cam i speced but want to try my lil cam first.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was gonna have a set 799 ported and valve work! Pistons totally agree with 4cc dome. Yes I have a large Bullet cam 800/798 lift on a 11:1 565 to run pump gas dynamic is 8.9 on it! It has a Holley Terminator X 4500 efi also. Looking forward to dipping over to the dark side of LS… 🤣

wiesco makes 4cc dome pistons for stock rods around $475 if you dont want to mill and fly cut..lq4s have a 6.6cc dish to them..if you port the heads then id swap up valve events depending on intake used also..the pump gas thing is off the cam,my dynamic is 8.6 on my deal..my cam is large for a rec port head if looked at lsa but its close with out fly cutting its a 239/255 dur,115 lsa + _ an set up to go 7800..i have about .050 clearance with my .150 fly cuts still so i have a 251-259 cam i speced but want to try my lil cam first.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would go with a 4.155 bore gen 1 sbc…those will make the power. Tried everything with my 6.0…ime they are only good with power adders/ boost. But they are cheap.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
26,091 Posts
I was gonna have a set 799 ported and valve work! Pistons totally agree with 4cc dome. Yes I have a large Bullet cam 800/798 lift on a 11:1 565 to run pump gas dynamic is 8.9 on it! It has a Holley Terminator X 4500 efi also. Looking forward to dipping over to the dark side of LS… 🤣
Look at 5pointslow wifes build on here..btr ls3 stage 4 cam,super vic or holley split intake,799s ported by texas speed,lq9 short..runs 10.30s at 3k i believe..pump gas combo but they run it on race gas..be a nice cruiser an id bet go 9s with 2pts more compression.

Bills been 5.88 8th,with his combo at 2750# fb has a all motor lsx group alot of 6.0-6.7 sbe combos there an on here.. 799s ported on a 6.0 will take compression to get 650hp

1 - 20 of 93 Posts