Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am sellling my c-4 and will be putting in a turbo400 and i was wondering who made the best turbo400 for the money to hold 1600hp or so...ptc has a real good setup....who else biulds good turbo400's...thanks...........

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
turbo nitrous or supercharged ? You might want to start thinking Glide.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its a 331 sbf with 2 66mm turbos and it weighs 3300 with me in it...i live in western nc....

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
its a 331 sbf with 2 66mm turbos and it weighs 3300 with me in it...i live in western nc....
1600 hp might be tough with turbos that small. I had turbonetics 66's on a 346 cube LS1 and went as fast as 161 at 3450 lbs on 22 lbs of boost. I guess that's in the 1100 hp range but I just don't see it picking up another 500 hp because you're really getting out of the turbos efficiency range if you start going up too high in the boost.

Sounds like a sweet combo though!

Here was a pic of mine:

·
Registered
387 Posts

I just wanted to make sure you you wasn't in Glide range. Street driver or pure weekend only race car?

Ton of good 400 builders, you couldn't go wrong: hutch,kilgore,CK perf, myself, frizzo, mikes transmision, ATF, rossler,coan. i could go on forever. With this list, i'm glad I build converters too.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
I just wanted to make sure you you wasn't in Glide range. Street driver or pure weekend only race car?

Ton of good 400 builders, you couldn't go wrong: hutch,kilgore,CK perf, myself, frizzo, mikes transmision, ATF, rossler,coan. i could go on forever. With this list, i'm glad I build converters too.
Mike (Mr. Ridings Automatics above) is a modest guy but he really knows his stuff when it comes to th400s (and countless other trans as well). Hutch is another stellar choice as well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
check these guys out www.extremeautomatics.com They build 400s for fast cars
I have one of their spragless TH400's with griner VB and 2.10 gearset. Couldn't be happier. We are throwing 1400hp at it now and I am told it will take whatever we can come up with so 1600hp is not far off. The spragless direct drum is bullet proof from what I am told.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i still drive it around town and to cruise inns and such....the turbos flow 800 lbs of air each....they are borgwarner s300's and i have the flow maps with them from bg...they might have to go to 36.37.38.39.or 40 psi to do that on my 331 but i am willing to take it there with a turbo 400.....

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have one of their spragless TH400's with griner VB and 2.10 gearset. Couldn't be happier. We are throwing 1400hp at it now and I am told it will take whatever we can come up with so 1600hp is not far off. The spragless direct drum is bullet proof from what I am told.
All of Lonnies spragless stuff is the shit...:party
I highly recommend............

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
they flow 80 lbs. of air not 800 sorry....if the compressor map says 800 hp each then why not.....

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
they flow 80 lbs. of air not 800 sorry....if the compressor map says 800 hp each then why not.....
lol the turbo doesn't know that its label says 800 hp though. It only knows pressures, speeds, flows, and efficiencies.

·
Registered
138 Posts
lol the turbo doesn't know that its label says 800 hp though. It only knows pressures, speeds, flows, and efficiencies.
I am confused about this statement? When determining how much horsepower an engine will make you have to calculate the air flow requirement for that engine based off of engine displacement, VE RPM, AFR, BSFC and other parameters. Knowing the variables you can caculate (spreadsheet) engine airflow requirement for each engine operating point, know as an engine lug line. Then you can plot these points on the compressor map to see if it will supply enough air for that operating condition. If your points do not go into choke the turbo will support that power. If the points go into surge that means the engine can not handle the air flow the turbo is flowing and causes the compressor wheel to surge.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts