Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me why this wouldn't work.
1. Institute a flat income tax that is a set %. Either 14% or 18%. Everyone that works pays. No deductions. No refunds. If you are going to live and work in the greatest country in the world there is a price to pay.
2. The U.S. mints stop stamping change except quarters. You can continue to use the other denominations but the banks will be taking them out of circulation.
3. All purchases will be subject to the roundup. If a purchase costs say $18.23 it will be rounded up to $18.50. $26.79 would roundup to $27.00. The monies collected would be sent to the goverment for the sole purpose to pay down the debt. This way everyone contributes citizens, illiegals, tourists everyone.
I have looked at this for months and cannot see a fault with it. Of course, the collected monies would have to be transfered immediately to pay down the debt so the politians could not get their hands on it like the did the Social Security surplus.
Tell me why it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I think everyone should pay tax weather you work or not. I flat sales tax is a great idea way too good the politians will never use it cause it will work

·
Read Only
0 Posts
#2 would cause infalation to skyrocket.

So would # 3

18% wouldn't be enough to pay our current Budget much less any debt we have accrued!

·
Registered
56,906 Posts
Nope ain't gonna work. Why?? Because the idiots in the senate and congress will have a fit if they're not getting their 200 to 400K a year paychecks along with all of their other freebies!!! ( gas and credit cards, housing etc. )

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
How do you pay tax if you are out of work? Shit the money out? Wasn't there a time in this country when nobody paid income tax? How did the gov't pay for things back then? Forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Tell me why this wouldn't work.
1. Institute a flat income tax that is a set %. Either 14% or 18%. Everyone that works pays. No deductions. No refunds. If you are going to live and work in the greatest country in the world there is a price to pay.
2. The U.S. mints stop stamping change except quarters. You can continue to use the other denominations but the banks will be taking them out of circulation.
3. All purchases will be subject to the roundup. If a purchase costs say $18.23 it will be rounded up to $18.50. $26.79 would roundup to $27.00. The monies collected would be sent to the goverment for the sole purpose to pay down the debt. This way everyone contributes citizens, illiegals, tourists everyone.
I have looked at this for months and cannot see a fault with it. Of course, the collected monies would have to be transfered immediately to pay down the debt so the politians could not get their hands on it like the did the Social Security surplus.
Tell me why it wouldn't work.
Good read on the flat tax proposals.

"There have been several flat tax proposals over the years, all of them based on the path breaking proposal developed by two Hoover Institution economists.http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2005/07/a-brief-guide-to-the-flat-tax#_ftn5 While no two plans are identical, they all share common features that fix the major flaws of the current Internal Revenue Code. Simplicity and fairness are also natural consequences of these component features of tax reform.
These major features of a flat tax are:
A Single Flat Rate. All flat tax proposals have a single rate, usually less than 20 percent. The low, flat rate solves the problem of high marginal tax rates by reducing penalties against productive behavior, such as work, risk taking, and entrepreneurship.
Elimination of Special Preferences. Flat tax proposals would eliminate provisions of the tax code that bestow preferential tax treatment on certain behaviors and activities. Getting rid of deductions, credits, exemptions, and other loopholes also helps solve the problem of complexity, allowing taxpayers to file their tax returns on a postcard-sized form.
No Double Taxation of Saving and Investment. Flat tax proposals would eliminate the tax code's bias against capital formation by ending the double taxation of income that is saved and invested. This means no death tax, no capital gains tax, no double taxation of saving, and no double tax on dividends. By taxing income only one time, a flat tax is easier to enforce and more conducive to job creation and capital formation.
Territorial Taxation. Flat tax proposals are based on the commonsense notion of "territorial taxation," meaning that governments should tax only income that is earned inside national borders. By getting rid of "worldwide taxation," a flat tax enables U.S. taxpayers and companies to compete on a level playing field around the world.
Family-Friendly. All flat tax proposals have one "loophole." Households receive a generous exemption based on family size. For instance, a family of four would not begin to pay tax until its annual income reached more than $30,000.http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2005/07/a-brief-guide-to-the-flat-tax#_ftn6

Consumption-Based. A tax code that does not discriminate against saving and investment is considered a consumption-based tax system, regardless of whether taxes are deducted from the paycheck or collected at the cash register. In this respect, a flat tax is a type of consumption tax. The difference between a flat tax and a national sales tax is where the tax is collected. A flat tax is levied on income-but only once and at one low rate-as it is earned. A sales tax is levied on income-but only once and at one low rate-as it is spent.

Both the flat tax and the sales tax differ dramatically from the U.S. Internal Revenue Code. The current tax code has numerous forms of double taxation, such as its treatment of saving and corporate income. The current tax code also has several forms of wealth taxation or asset taxation, such as the capital gains tax and the death tax. (These also are forms of double taxation since the assets were acquired with after-tax dollars.) The current tax code even has provisions that force taxpayers to overstate their income, such as forcing businesses to "depreciate" the cost of new investment instead of allowing immediate and full deduction (a policy known as "expensing") when costs are incurred.
None of these forms of double taxation, wealth taxation, or over taxation exist in either a flat tax or a national sales tax, which is why public finance economists categorize both systems as consumption-based taxes."

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
When 45% of people dont pay any income tax it going to be hard to talk them into paying.

·
God's servant Romans 13:4
6,798 Posts
The reason it wont happen is because
1)you cant buy votes if you're not on a wealth redistribution mission.

2)If the debt was paid down, they would figure out a way to give the excess to a foreign country or a new entitlement program.

3)Because only crooks will fill political offices.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
The reason it wont happen is because
1)you cant buy votes if you're not on a wealth redistribution mission.

2)If the debt was paid down, they would figure out a way to give the excess to a foreign country or a new entitlement program.

3)Because only crooks will fill political offices.
Ding Ding Ding WINNER!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think this is a damn good idea!! I have sted something similar for a couple of years now. Something has to be done so that everyone and I mean EVERYONE pays their taxes!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts