Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in building a na ls engine using a lq9 block.
I'm new to the ls scene so looking for some suggestions.

the engine will go in a 2300# with driver tube chassis car. Looking to make around 800 hp.

Is anyone using mechanical alky injection on one?
Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
You will have some trouble getting a "real" cylinder head for the small 4.000" bore of that block. And I think you will need a real cylinder head to reach your 800hp goal naturally aspirated. I believe there is a Kinsler injection available for the LS engines. It will take a lot of camshaft to get there and a fair amount of rpm to go with it. Check with Cary at Performance Inductions (Mast) and AllPro for a decent cylinder head. Your goal can be reached more easily if you are able to spring for an aftermarket block with at least a 4.125 bore size. A cylinder head that can make the power you are after at a lower rpm range with a longer stroke will be more reliable and ultimately cheaper in the long run. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will have some trouble getting a "real" cylinder head for the small 4.000" bore of that block. And I think you will need a real cylinder head to reach your 800hp goal naturally aspirated. I believe there is a Kinsler injection available for the LS engines. It will take a lot of camshaft to get there and a fair amount of rpm to go with it. Check with Cary at Performance Inductions (Mast) and AllPro for a decent cylinder head. Your goal can be reached more easily if you are able to spring for an aftermarket block with at least a 4.125 bore size. A cylinder head that can make the power you are after at a lower rpm range with a longer stroke will be more reliable and ultimately cheaper in the long run. Best of luck to you.
Thanks. being new to the ls engines, just need to figure these engines out. I've been running sbc for ever.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
It's much easier than you think!

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Can you share some info?
It's just an engine. A different format but still just an engine. 800HP old skool SBC's have been around for how many years now? 8-10 years ago because of class rules, we had to use 23* heads and were making over 800HP N/A..........on old skool SBC's.

The LS stuff is just different and in some ways better "out of the box". The aftermarket is huge and possibilities are limited only to your budget. There are already people making 900+ HP N/A with the LS format on less than 410 cubic inches.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Guys have made 800 even over 9 with 4" bore blocks on gas. And this well be a alky motor?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
How about some details of this motor?
4.03 bore 6.0 iron block, 4 inch stroke crank, 6125 rods
PI/Mast cnc heads and PI/Mast cnc intake
Intake flows between 365-370cfm and exhaust 245-250cfm @ .750 lift
15.3 Compression
Solid Roller, over 270 @ .050 duration and over .800 lift
1150cfm alcohol dominator

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
He's just saying you can build an 800HP N/A engine with off the shelf parts. ;)

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I have a 408 motor already built, that with an intake swap (to cary's or a sheet metal) will do what you're looking to do.

Iron 6 litre truck block
Lunati crank and rods
Wiseco, 14.5 to 1 compression
ET ls7 4 inch bore heads (about the best 4 inch bore head you can get)
PAC solid roller valve springs
Custom crower 1.8 ratio rockers
crower solid roller lifters
cam motion 261/267 740/730 lift camshaft
double roller adjustable timing chain
katech ported oil pump
cometic head gaskets
ARP 2000 studs thru the entire motor
ported GM ls7 single plane intake

Needs an oil pan, you tell me which one you need, and I'll buy it and put it on to ship it. Needs a balancer, depending on what you will run off the front of the motor this can change some, injectors fuel rails and tb. I was going to run a vacuum pump on it, and have a valley cover that's ready to put a baffeled fitting on, or you can put a line off the valve covers (fabbed moroso ones)

10000 it's yours... I guarintee that you can't touch putting it together for that price... and this will save you alot of time as well.

PM me if you're interested.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts