i already bought a digital scale

but not to sure who's filling station to buy-

looking for advice and tips from guys that have their own station

Thanks

Nick--

·
Registered
788 Posts
I did my own filling deal for several reasons. It wasnt really for trying to save money as it was for the convenience. But you will come out a little cheaper and if you add on the gas it takes you to go get the bottles filled, it probably even comes out better.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I have the NOS station in my trailer for at least five years and never a problem.I fill my bottles after every run.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so the nos station is as good as it get's ?

nutz4sale-yes its for some customers of mine and also convenience and also doing the filling my self-

seems i always get a pound short here and their-

Maybe they dont know how to fill it up

Thanks

Nick--

·
Registered
788 Posts
so the nos station is as good as it get's ?

nutz4sale-yes its for some customers of mine and also convenience and also doing the filling my self-

seems i always get a pound short here and their-

Maybe they dont know how to fill it up

Thanks

Nick--
From my experience and what I have also heard, the nos brand pump is not the best.
Ad another thing, if they are coming up a lb short, maybe they are not cutting on the pump or something. Another thing to think about is, I would rather be a lb short than a 1/2 lb over fill!

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Where?

Where in the hell are you guys buying your nitrous? I can get my bottle filled at the speed shop for 3.25 a lb. I wanted to fill my own just for convenience sake.....but the cheapest I was able to get out for nitrous was around 5.00 a lb. I got access to a pump station, just can't find nitrous cheap enough to make it worth doing.

·
Mike Walsh
1,730 Posts
Just get a cooler and some ice and cool the bottle down for about 15min.The bottle will fill up with no probem.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From my experience and what I have also heard, the nos brand pump is not the best.
Ad another thing, if they are coming up a lb short, maybe they are not cutting on the pump or something. Another thing to think about is, I would rather be a lb short than a 1/2 lb over fill!

who else makes or sells a filling station

Thanks

Nick--

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just get a cooler and some ice and cool the bottle down for about 15min.The bottle will fill up with no probem.

how cold we talking about-

what about in the fridge?

Thanks

Nick--

·
Mr. Noisy
3,792 Posts
gday nick,
ive got an edelbrock unit, i havent used it yet, but the guy who owned it before me did all my re fills and he said it was piss easy to use.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have the Nitrous Express refill station.Works good no issues.

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
If you get an NOS unit just keep the air supply dry and lubricated and they work pretty good, on the other hand if you run wet oiless air they will roll a piston ring pretty quick ( don't ask me how I know this:p )

On the other hand you can just get a trash can and fill it with ice to submerge the cars bottle in keep the big bottle hot and pressure differential will cause the nitrous to transfer just fine.

Richard Gavle

·
Registered
788 Posts
yes the freezer trick works well, you just have to be careful not to leave them in there long because of damage (over time) that can be done to the small bottles to be filled.
And to answer the question that z289sec asked. I dont know any info about nitrous in the area you are located but around here, speed shops charge $4 per lb.
I get mine and even after the small amount of waste that is wasted, I still only have just over $2 per lb.
I am friends with the local welding supply owner but I am not getting a deal any better than the local speed shops. And all of the mother bottles I get are the nwer style, nice valves and do not required to be turned upside down.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Filling bottles

I put the bottles in the refrigerator. Several hours is better but 45 minutes works. The mother bottle is at room temp and upside down (no siphon tube in the mother bottles) Hook the two bottles together while the little bottle is sitting on a digital bathroom scale. Purge the air out of the line, then open the empty bottle and about 15 to 20 seconds later it's full. It will top off a partial bottle or completely fill an empty bottle. I used to freeze the little bottles but had some trouble with the bottles leaking around the valve threads where it goes into the bottle. I believed that they leaked due to expansion rate difference between the alum. bottle and the brass or whatever the valve is made of. When the bottle warmed up the leak would stop. In any case it works great and you don't have to buy the pump. Like someone else said, a cooler and some ice works just as well. Have fun.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
we use the nx pump station have had it for 8 years still works good, buying the mother bottles is somewhat cheap you are paying for the nitrous in the bottle, but what runs the cost of reselling nitrous up is when you get a mother bottle you pay for about 64lbs, when you pump it out you get about 43-47 usable pounds, so there is a lost of about 17 pounds that you can get paid for!! then there is the rental charge on the mother bottles that you have sitting in your shop and the cost of the pump on the inital start up.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,947 Posts
Hey, why does that happen? I know someone that is getting bottles and being charged for 64 lbs (or so) but never gets that much out of them. Why is that? He is using a pump to fill the smaller bottles with so I would think the pump would be able to empty the mother bottles. I don't know if he tried cracking-open the mother bottles after they were "empty".

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pffft, stop sooking, it costs up to $13/lb here in australia and c16 is $38/gal.

i pay between $10-15.00 a pound from time to time- in melb-

depends who's got what at the time-

Thanks

Nick--

1 - 20 of 43 Posts