Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Well I'm looking to build my first motor. I had n2o 355 but I just blew it up. It wasn't my motor so I didn't anything about. Im looking for some ideas on a new motor build.

I already have the intake carb and trous plate. They are brand new. I have a vic jr intake. Holley 4150 750hp. And the a nos big shot plate system. The motor I am thinking I want to build is a 383 stroker capable of a 300 shot. Is that possible on a gm block? And I was thinking afr195 heads. Custom ground solid roller cam. I don't know much about valve train. That's where ur advice comes in.

As far as budget goes is I'm a 19 year old college student working part time. But I have all the time in the world to piece this together. I'm willing to have the motor assembled but I'd rather do it myself. Just ordered a few books on rebuilding sbc n high performance sbc, n sbc valve train. I want the motor to last. So a 300 shot will be rare.

Definetly gona go fully forged rotating assembly. So what ever you guys can input would be greatly appreciated.

And the motor is in front of a 3200 stall, built th350, and a 31 spline spooled 8.8 rear.

Sorry for jumping around. On cell phone typing all this. The nitrous kit I have is on wot switch and a msd window switch. I have a msd digi 6. Should I sell it n buy a msd 7? I have msd pro billet dizzy non hei. I would like to use some left over parts. All this is goin to be in an s10 right 3000# with me in it. But the motor I want to build from scratch and just left over bolt ons.

Thanks
Justin

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Personally, I would run a bit bigger runner on the cylinder head. Something in the neighborhood of 200-215. As far as cams go, get with Bullet and give them as much info as you can on the combination. They won't steer you wrong, a 4,7 swap wouldn't be bad idea either.

I have seen many good 383 with a 250 or so shot of nitrous on a GM Block. Although, if it's going to have to be bored, decked, and line honed for main studs. The cost of an SHP Style block isn't that much more than what you are already going to spend. Very close, if you are putting an aftermarket main assembly on it.

Just something to consider.

As far as the Digital 6 goes, for a single stage plate type system it will work just fine. Just doesn't have all the tuneability that a 7531 does, and depending on if it's going to run stock suspension or something else, and radials or a bias ply slick you may or may not need the features of the 7531.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well its goin to run cal tracs and a MT et slick 28". on a 4.10 or 4.11 gear. havent decided that yet. Wat do u guys think about rhs heads? Im thinking i can save myself some money on the heads and build a better short block.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Stock block 383 here. Just has billet caps and they are splayed. Been decked once. I have 2 foggers a 24 and a 32. Been together for about 6 years like that so it should take it

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds good. hopefully my blown up 355 still has a good block. Figured id go with a scat 4340 crank 3.750". Scat 4340 h beam rods 5.7". and srp forged pistons. not sure what piston rings to run. any suggestions? and at what gap? Clevite 77 bearings good enough or should i go better?

Id like to run a solid roller cam in .600 lift area. but you know somthing built for nitrous. Im thinking dart heads or the rhs heads, cast iron. try to save money there to afford that valve train. the rhs pro action 220 runner. or the dart iron eagles or the pro1 platinum. About what compression should i be shooting for?

thanks
justin

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hello,

Well I'm looking to build my first motor. I had n2o 355 but I just blew it up. It wasn't my motor so I didn't anything about. Im looking for some ideas on a new motor build.

I already have the intake carb and trous plate. They are brand new. I have a vic jr intake. Holley 4150 750hp. And the a nos big shot plate system. The motor I am thinking I want to build is a 383 stroker capable of a 300 shot. Is that possible on a gm block? And I was thinking afr195 heads. Custom ground solid roller cam. I don't know much about valve train. That's where ur advice comes in.

As far as budget goes is I'm a 19 year old college student working part time. But I have all the time in the world to piece this together. I'm willing to have the motor assembled but I'd rather do it myself. Just ordered a few books on rebuilding sbc n high performance sbc, n sbc valve train. I want the motor to last. So a 300 shot will be rare.

Definetly gona go fully forged rotating assembly. So what ever you guys can input would be greatly appreciated.

And the motor is in front of a 3200 stall, built th350, and a 31 spline spooled 8.8 rear.

Sorry for jumping around. On cell phone typing all this. The nitrous kit I have is on wot switch and a msd window switch. I have a msd digi 6. Should I sell it n buy a msd 7? I have msd pro billet dizzy non hei. I would like to use some left over parts. All this is goin to be in an s10 right 3000# with me in it. But the motor I want to build from scratch and just left over bolt ons.

Thanks
Justin

The more spray you run, the bigger the head/headers you will need. My 383's run 215 heads for a dual purpose duty, run killer n/a and on the hit all with factory blocks. 275 hit run after run. Use an Eagle rotator, 4340 with the SRP piston and you will be fine. I would go bigger cyulinder head than the 195. How much power are you looking to make overall? We make about 600hp n/a and spray 275-300 no problem with the factory 4 bolt 350 blocks. Since you won;t be spraying all the time, I would go for a dual purpose deal. The 383 I am talking about in your 3000lb car will run mid tens with a gear and converter designed to run a bit of spray, which will run low 9's on a basic tune up. Oh and the engine runs 93 pump piss off the bottle. I alos like the Super Vic for this engine as the Vic Jr is on the small side. Then I would run a 950 HP carb, prefferrably from Pro Systems. The SRP flat top with a 3.750 stroke will net you 10.8-11.1 with 64cc chambers in an alum head. How fast are you looking to go n/a and on the hit? I do a ton of these so if you need any help, let me know..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ill take all the help I can get. I'm pretty fresh to all of this. So an eagle 4340 crank. And the srp forged pistons. Some decent forged rods. Which bearings should I use? And which piston rings? I was thinking the rhs pro action heads 215 runner. Iron but I can go aluminum. I rly wasn't sure how much HP I wanted to make. Now that I think about it, 400rwhp would be nice. Then run a 200 shot on it regularly and then 300 shot on the days I'm feeling bored. So maybe I should sell my carb and intake? And get a super vic and a bigger carb?

With a .600 lift cam will I have any problems with valve clearance with a flat top piston?

And ill buy a set of 1 7/8 headers. Cause the ones I have now are only 1 5/8.

If we could come up with a full build sheet, which is what I'm trying to do. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Justin

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I run an Ohio crank I belive, Calies Rods, JE HD pistons, a solid roller Comp cam, Raised Runner Pontiac heads, and Clevite (sp?) bearings, along with tol steel rings. I turn the piss out of mine to keep some of the load off the block though...oh and my tune-up is way the hell off the charts rich if you tune like most of the guys on here, which we don't.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm with Bad influence on this one,and z289sec on the camshaft choice. I sold a friend of mine a set of fully raceported dart 215's on a 383 and he went [email protected] mph. I've went 8.68 @ 153 mph with the same heads with sbc 434.Both vehicles weighed over 3000 lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts