Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all know we've been working on getting my car running again. We have it up and running. My original 8inch rear-end blew up at the track. So we built a stout D60 for the car. Brand new everything in the rear-end. The richmond gears are brand new backlash set at 9 thou. It also has a detroit locker in it.

My trans is a t350 it was not pulled out and looked thru. Only thing we did to it was replace the trans seal as it was destroyed when the driveshaft bent in half.

I have been driving the car alot over these past few days. The trans shifts fine just as it did before. Just firm shifts not lazy on the shift either. Feels normal. I've ran it hard and it shifts fine.

The Car is making a wierd very high pitch whistle sound at certain RPM's. It doesn't do it all the time you have to gas it just right for it to make this noise. You can hear it pretty good too. I've tried to shut the motor down and coast it in N and their is no noise. Fire it back up and proced and the whistle is back.

It does have a alum DS. could the DS be making this noise? Like a aluminum hummmm.

Any idea's what this mysterious nise is?

Also found out my slip yoke is leaking at the back where the freeze plug is. We are sure its the slip yoke leaking and not the rear seal. We do not see any oil anywhere near the tail shaft. It looks to have sprayed it all over the floorboard like it was flung up. It's a brand new slip yoke.

this is what happend back in april 2008

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Well, it's either 1 of 2 issues...

1. You have this: http://videos.topredline.com/recentvideos/0/b20096ec-0f2c-4f99-9227-80934fb999c2.htm

or

2. The drivshaft was not dynamically balanced for the tire diameter and RPM range you drive in. If it wasn't, then yes, you'll hear harmonic distortions as the driveshaft tries to tear itself out of the car. A good driveshaft company asks you your tire diameter, rear gearing, and engine RPM you go through the traps at. They then balance the driveshaft so that you either never get into the distortion, or that you blast through it so fast it barely occurs.

Let me guess, you did nothing more than tell them the length and they sent it to you?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not number 1. But that was funny. The whistle doesn't sound like that either.

Hmmm I didn't order the driveshaft. The guy doing the work ordered it. I don't know if they asked him all those questions.

It is a inland empire driveshaft. The slip yoke is leaking. I paid over $500 for that DS and Slip yoke and the slip yoke is leaking at that plug

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Price is moot. Unless it was balanced for your particular combination, it's going to have harmonic resonance. Either get used to it, or pay to have it balanced properly.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We were thinking of wraping a piece of rubber around it somehow and seeing if it would absorb the noise.

You think that would work?

·
Registered
16,589 Posts
I think I posted this before but no one responded..............that transmission looks to be on quite a downward angle............is the pinion angle set to match? I always thought 4* was about right and that appears (maybe its just the pics) to be way more that 4*.

·
Registered
16,589 Posts
We were thinking of wraping a piece of rubber around it somehow and seeing if it would absorb the noise.

You think that would work?
Good luck with balancing it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i can try and get a better pic of that angle if you'd like. But it will have to wait till tomorrow. That trans have been like that for over 6 years. Hasn't been touched.

·
Registered
16,589 Posts
So your pinion is pointing up? (in relation to the trans angle) The pinion angle should match the output shaft angle of the trans. 4* down is about optimal on the pinion.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i think it is pointing down a bit. That way when you accelerate it goes up to match.

·
Registered
16,589 Posts
i think it is pointing down a bit. That way when you accelerate it goes up to match.
That would be correct (and in theory it is) but in would appear that your trans is pointed downwards pretty severely when it should be approx. level. Personally I would put an angle finder on it (the output shaft of the trans) to make sure. I'd hate to see you take out another shaft and rearend. The origional may have lasted 6 years but it doesn't mean it was right. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
16,589 Posts
The pinion angle (from your pics) looks not to bad but the views can be deceiving. Just as the trans may not be an issue but from the pics, it looks out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
im going to say that its the planetary gears - mine made a whirring noise for a while before they totaly died. sounds strange but stranger things have been offered up???

1 - 20 of 67 Posts