Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, figured I'd Post a little feedback for those people who have been kind enough to answer any of my questions, and pm's, etc.

This past weekend I attended the RAdial Revolution at Topend Dragway in MN. It was the best track prep I have ever seen!! Treated the racers awesome, pizza party and good cash and prizes to win!!

It was my first 1/8 mile race to compete in, and loved it!! I just love having to tune hard and get after it in the first 330!

Combo is a 363 SBF, f1C Side slinger 77/44 and frozen boost a/w with a c4. makes about 18 psi at 7000 rpm. Car weighs a portly 3420 with me in it ! (i'm 190)

I made a new personal best of a [email protected], with a new timing map I made for my AEM. Also a new best of a 1.24 60 ft. Not bad for singles in the back and 70/30's up front!! lol. I need limiters!

Next pass, I put on a Spectre Inlet bell as the only change. Boost did absolutely NOTHING in my data log for a psi increase. However, it did lean the mixture out almost a full point!! So I added a bit of fuel and fattened up the correction in the 02 Feedback map.

Next I swapped on a 42 tooth pulley, and it made the car a new MONSTER!!! gained 3.5 lbs up top and it made the launch crazy!!

Unfortunately, I have a tough time keeping the belt on, it walks twards the motor under hard load, (destroyed 3 belts and an idler/spacer at the BIR show n' Go) everything was fine in the 1/8 mile, but they let me make a 1/4 test pass at the end of the day, and after I peddled a big wheelie, it stripped the cog belt, and the blower sucked it in and destroyed the impeller. . . . :( more procharger carnage.

chris

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a jakes brace for the shock tower that I need to install, it just seems that when I hit high gear, the belt gets destroyed. I'm not a huge dollar budget racer, and like 3-4 belts is just insane to me.

I'm thinking about making sides for the blower pulley like the pic below, I got from another thread. I figure with that, the brace on the head unit and all the pulleys lined up with a straight edge or laser, it should be good??

My blower is an older f1-c, but it has a 5.73 step up ratio, and I just LOVE how it comes on hard and fast. The trans is so tight and bearings are mint. I've never had to peddle it hard. All my qualifying passes I just fluffed my foot off the floor and inch or so, and it rode out real nice. I guess I just got excited on race day and stomped on and off it too hard when the car went up too high. I'm just nervous procharger is gonna tell me it needs bearings and seals, etc, when I've checked it all over, and I know its minty, just that the impeller got hit with a piece of belt. Just scared I guess that its not gonna be the same awesome blower now. :(

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Nice wheels up pics! Wish I could have made it up there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cool pic, sorry about the carnage. Lost a impeller last year when we sucked something in also

We run a Procharger F1C with a cog belt also and can get almost a season out of the belt. On our old 5.4 F1C we ran last year we had 44/77 pulleys. Shifted the car at 8K and ran a best of 5.30 132 1/8 and 8.30 163 was the best 1/4 pass.

We do have a brace from the strut tower to the head unit. Besides that it's just the stock brackets from Procharger. Last year we ran motor mounts, but we have since added motor plates and a F1C 10.5 and the belt has about 20 runs on it so far.

I hope this helps, Mike

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the responses guys. yeah, I cant wait to actually run it real hard once the belt stays on. I ran a 9.47, with the belt breaking at the 1/8, exactly 5.7 seconds into the run!!! its gonna go fast!!

any idea how much an impeller is?? I took it apart last night, its just the impeller, everything else is fine, even the inside of the volute, there not a mark on it.

I'll double check pulley alignment, and get that brace installed and pre-load it.

also found out my fuel pump could not supply the commanded fuel its needing., So, I'll also address that.

unfortunately I think the blower repair is gonna kill my tiny race budget for the year. I'll see what I can do

chris

·
Registered
756 Posts
I believe I paid $875 for my D1R impeller last year. However, I'd bet you should replace the bearings as well - all that ground up aluminum went somewhere. I think with new impeller, bearings, seals, and shipping it was close to $1500.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes. I have a video from the stands of round one. I think my go pro was on the rt door for round one so the chevelle won't be in that one. Pm me your email and I'll send you what I can scrounge up!!!
And yes, it was the 1/4 mile test pass after the race when the belt got stripped peddling the wheelie.

I can't see why it should need bearings and seals,when the seals don't leak, and the impeller pieces are stuck in the intercooler. The trans is sealed?? Theres no way for any particles to get in there?? Or am I missing something? When I grab the black cone, there's no play what so ever. Same with the pulley.

Chris

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Is it best to brace front to back(horizontal) or up and down (vertical)? My build will be easiest to brace down to the frame but I did not know if that will be beneficial at all.

·
Registered
400 Posts
When the impellar fails it can shock load other areas, The imbalance in the rotating mass can also ruin your seals and put extreme loads on the bearings. It may not leak right away but a return shipment and repair two months later will cost more than doing them now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts