Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've known a number of people who did cocaine in their younger days. Robin did a LOT. A whole lot, people may have forgotten he was actually with John Belushi on the night/morning he OD'd.

Coke causes euphoria by being a serotonin, dopamine re-uptake inhibitor. Happy brain chemicals are greatly increased.

Over time, feeling so good, comes with the flipside of the coin, the negative effect of feeling just as bad later. In addition, it inhibits the bodies natural ability to feel good under "normal" circumstances. You stop feeling natural highs the more you use it, especially later in life.

Not going to beat it to death, but I've seen number of great and talented people who did a lot of blow, only to run out of joy and happiness when they get older. Shitty drug, and I'll bet it, along with the alcohol problems is why he was depressed in his old age. Depressed enough to kill himself.

I don't know any older coke heads who are happy, laughing and life loving people, even though they may have been so in their youth. Fucking drugs and alcohol.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
or maybe the depression triggered the addiction ?
Sure, it works that way. People self-medicating because of depression. Intertwined.

I just think the huge amounts of coke as a younger person makes for a sadder and more depressed older person, every time.

·
Registered
29,537 Posts
I just think depression is depression & no matter what its there forever & always was .
truly the one thing in life that stops money & fame buying happiness .

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just think depression is depression & no matter what its there forever & always was .
truly the one thing in life that stops money & fame buying happiness .

No doubt. But, when treated with psychotherapy and appropriate medications, as well as exercise and lifestyle changes, it can be controlled and even cured.

Coke and alcohol may temporarily remove the pain, but you pay for it eventually.

Fucking sad deal, and I'm not going to encompass his specific feelings, just an observation I've had with old coke heads/alcoholics I've known.

·
Registered
29,537 Posts
I really don't think it can ever be cured .
controlled to a certain extent yes , cured no .
no doubt the drug & alcohol abuse will eventually make depression an unbearable thing to live with .
I just don't believe anyone with depression will ever be rid of it & if they try to kid themselves otherwise they may be setting themselves up for a big fall .

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I had a friend that was like Williams, constantly happy, always had jokes and wanted everyone to be happy. One day we where sitting down having few beers and I asked him what is it like to be happy and out going all the time. He told me "is fucking hard, everyone expects you to be like that 24/7 even when you have your own personal problems".
Some times the most gifted and happiest people are the ones who suffer the most, and we never see it until it's too late. Some
All it takes is for you to ask someone "How's it going?", and listen to them to help them out if they are in a dark and shitty place.

·
Registered
15,896 Posts
Some very valid stuff brought up so far.

·
Trolling the Trolls
15,557 Posts
Coke and Alcohol, serotonin issues and trying to escape the dark times.

Self medication or prescribed. you are just trying to even out the highs and lows.

I never wanna go back to my dark times of 2005...yeah it has been a bad weekend even before all this....but not enough to ever think about checking out.

PS: I've never touched cocaine, only the alcohol side of things.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
I think you may be on the right track. Many don't realize that coke permanently rewires your brain, and getting off of it is a tough deal.

It's a Catch 22. You do drugs to feel better and it works for awhile. Go to tge doctor and get on drugs that work for awhile. It's a vicious cycle, some don't make it.

·
Registered
47,748 Posts
Say a person did a reasonable amount of coke on weekends, when they were in their college years, and then never touched it again, you feel like it would cause them to be clinically depressed 30-40 years later?

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Most comedians are funny because they channel their inner pain into something funny. Richard Pryor had a horrible childhood with a prostitute mother, Chris farley hated being fat and the butt of jokes because he was. Most artist of any type are good at what they do because they use their craft as an escape for inner demons.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I've known a number of people who did cocaine in their younger days. Robin did a LOT. A whole lot, people may have forgotten he was actually with John Belushi on the night/morning he OD'd.

Coke causes euphoria by being a serotonin, dopamine re-uptake inhibitor. Happy brain chemicals are greatly increased.

Over time, feeling so good, comes with the flipside of the coin, the negative effect of feeling just as bad later. In addition, it inhibits the bodies natural ability to feel good under "normal" circumstances. You stop feeling natural highs the more you use it, especially later in life.

Not going to beat it to death, but I've seen number of great and talented people who did a lot of blow, only to run out of joy and happiness when they get older. Shitty drug, and I'll bet it, along with the alcohol problems is why he was depressed in his old age. Depressed enough to kill himself.

I don't know any older coke heads who are happy, laughing and life loving people, even though they may have been so in their youth. Fucking drugs and alcohol.
Makes sense, sad, very sad for all his family and friends.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts