Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Titanium Member
11,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a stock,62,000 mile 283.
I put (replaced existing headers)shortys on there,and a 2.5 stainless exhaust from pypes,with their street pro mufflers.
Sounds like a race car,but is not.
Im wondering,if I buy stock walkers or something from rockauto,will that be the ticket to make it quieter without changing anything else?
What do you think?

·
Ass, Gas or Grass
17,174 Posts

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
It will be quieter....but probably not as quiet as the OE system. Replacement mufflers almost never are due to cost issues.

Cast manifolds would quiet it down some over the shortys...they tend to damp sound waves. A crossover pipe would help. If you have room for a bigger muffler over the stock size, use it. I am guessing that you have full length tailpipes....if not, that's the first place to start.

Tailpipe resonators might help, but sometimes they sound weird.

·
Brewmaster
12,612 Posts
I have a couple magnaflow mufflers (12246) on the 66 elky, it's very quiet at idle and still pretty quiet going down the road. Stock '04 5.3 but with manifolds.

·
Registered
28,570 Posts
Put smoke stacks on it. Just remember to mount them behind the doors so you don't have to climb through the windows.

·
Former RJ instigator
42,533 Posts
Go to your local muffler shop and ask them to put you on some 'turbos'......, they were the hot ticket years ago before flow~disaters hit the scene.....and not nearly as loud.

·
Titanium Member
11,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Titanium Member
11,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Put smoke stacks on it. Just remember to mount them behind the doors so you don't have to climb through the windows.
Its already got the smoke stacks.
It was an australian chevelle.

·
Titanium Member
11,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Because it'll get smoked by every ricer in a Honda if it cant bite as loud as it barks!!
Its got the original u-joints in it too,lol.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts