Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Anyone have thought on this? I am looking to pick it up from a local. I'd be putting it in a cruiser 66 biscayne.

Too much for my app?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I would go with a AFR comp. ported 195 over a 215 for that motor. Theyll flow as good as a 215 and keep the velocity up. I ran an old set of 195s on a 383 pump gas motor, victor jr with a street roller @ 2900lbs and it ran [email protected]
Whats that blue Vette run in that 30+ baro?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hello all,

I am about to begin building an 92 S-10 with my son as his first vehicle. It will be driven to and from school, work, and will see some track time as he ages out of his Jr. Dragster.

Truck is a reg cab so I'm guessing around 3,000 pounds when all said and done.

Trans will be a TH350 or 400
9" with 3.73 gear along with a 275/60 tire.
Calvert Racing stuff in the back.

I have a short block assembled with out cam. Bore is 4.070 x 3.48 stroke= 362ci
Rotator is scat everything is forged. Pistion is flat top 2 valve relief. Must stay pump gas friendly.

I am wanting to go with a solid roller set up around .580 to .600 lift area and 248* to 252* on a 108 or 110 LSA

I will eventually run a plate kit on this set up spraying no more than 175-200hp.

I would run a vic jr. intake with a 750 dp.

I am not sure on what head I would like to put on this. I have a old set of 23* bowtie iron heads. But I am thinking I may want to go to an aluminum head. 195-200cc intake runners. What are you guys thoughts or opinions on this.

Would a 2.05 intake valve be beneficial over a 2.02?

My goal is to get this setup for him to run low 11's to high 10 sec zone on motor.

Is this obtainable? Please discuss and thanks in advance!
You don't need a big head or valve on that combo. You don't have much rear gear and the cam is pretty mild. I would not go any bigger than 2.02 valve size and would use 1.94 if you can find a head with that size valve. Keep the ports about 180CC if possible. Big heads and valves are for high RPM combos. You need some port velocity to make a combo like that work. Just remember bigger is not always faster.

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
You don't need a big head or valve on that combo. You don't have much rear gear and the cam is pretty mild. I would not go any bigger than 2.02 valve size and would use 1.94 if you can find a head with that size valve. Keep the ports about 180CC if possible. Big heads and valves are for high RPM combos. You need some port velocity to make a combo like that work. Just remember bigger is not always faster.
A 195cc head with a 2.02 valve is not going to hurt this build....

·
Registered
626 Posts
I don't, it was one of those articles that popped up on my phone, I think it was from Dragzine magazine.
Yeah, nothing there either.

Ah ha, found it at Chevy Hardcore online magazine.
For anyone that is interested....

·
Registered
377 Posts
:) right cam and sounds like he will have bottle to open . but really what it runs at track doesn't matter as long as truck and driver can be consistent .some 26" slicks would be nice for track use

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I am open to trying different tire heights just know that the 26" will have less side wall. I am sure that he will have fun with the set up. When we get to the point of spraying it, ole pops will need to get in the truck and make the first few hits and make sure everything is right before I cut him loose in it. He has been racing since he has been 8 and is a pretty good racer. His jr. Dragster goes 1.5X 60' times so, he is not a stranger to the feeling so to speak. We will take it slow and enjoy the build. Any other input is great. Thanks for sharing thoughts thus far!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I have to agree with JohnnyDart and Canuc on this one that it might be best to take the truck down a bit for a first time driver. I know you have the utmost confidence in your sone but a pass down the track and a blast on the street are totally different as I'm sure you know. Buddies pushing him to "get on it" or "Race the Civic" turns into loss of traction on sand covered streets and things go bad quickly. Ok, rant over. Lol. I do think the RPM Airgap will work with any head you chose and will keep power down low vs losing it all till 3k rpm with the Vic Jr. I think a 215cc head should get you where you want to be. All just my humble opinion

·
Registered
24,443 Posts
I have to agree with JohnnyDart and Canuc on this one that it might be best to take the truck down a bit for a first time driver. I know you have the utmost confidence in your sone but a pass down the track and a blast on the street are totally different as I'm sure you know. Buddies pushing him to "get on it" or "Race the Civic" turns into loss of traction on sand covered streets and things go bad quickly. Ok, rant over. Lol. I do think the RPM Airgap will work with any head you chose and will keep power down low vs losing it all till 3k rpm with the Vic Jr. I think a 215cc head should get you where you want to be. All just my humble opinion
Good advice actually.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Here's a link to a Flotek pump gas deal I did.

·
Registered
65,772 Posts
Okay guys, thanks for your concern of the well being of my boy. Does anyone else have anything to offer regarding the original topic in a technical manner?
Build it and he'll get used to it driving it on the street. When you say pump gas, what octane are you planning to run?

engine:
-) sounds like you have a nice short block to build off of
-) heads --- AFR 195s -- if you get there Street head, it comes with a 2.05 intake valve. Their Race head comes with a 2.08 intake valve. Both are offered in either a 65 or 75 CC chamber. I'd try to hit a 10.5:1 static compression ratio
-) cam -- I'd opt for a 104 to 106 LSA. It'll still work with your planned 200 kit. Your lift target is good
-) a quality set of roller rockers -- my vote would be for steel roller rockers and a stud girdle. Jomar makes a nice unit
-) 1-5/8" dia full-length headers
-) 2-1/2 exhaust
-) HEI custom curved dist
-) Stewart mechanical water pump and good mechanical clutch fan and shroud. For the track, you may need to install a good puller elec fan to help cool it down between rounds. If so, don't forget to upsize the amperage capacity of the alternator. The other alternative is to go all elec -- water pump and fan/shroud combo.

trans:
a well-built 350 turbo and matched conv and a big cooler.

Rear:
Good posi unit
My 2c -- I'd hold off on the Calvert stuff at first. Install a set of slapper bars but be sure to lengthen them (if required) so the rubber snubber hits directly under the main spring's eye centerline.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks for the insight. On the rear, the truck will be getting a new M-9 from moser, and I will be going with the calvert stuff because I have had great results on a race car of ours. Plus I don't like doing stuff twice. I want to over build the truck to be able to handle growth at a later point in time. Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Talk to Chad Speier for the heads. I wouldn't go bigger than 195's for the cubic inch and on the street. Bigger heads would need more cam, compression and rpm's to work better than the smaller head. Sounds like a fun build for you and your son. ENJOY!!!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts