Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am about to begin building an 92 S-10 with my son as his first vehicle. It will be driven to and from school, work, and will see some track time as he ages out of his Jr. Dragster.

Truck is a reg cab so I'm guessing around 3,000 pounds when all said and done.

Trans will be a TH350 or 400
9" with 3.73 gear along with a 275/60 tire.
Calvert Racing stuff in the back.

I have a short block assembled with out cam. Bore is 4.070 x 3.48 stroke= 362ci
Rotator is scat everything is forged. Pistion is flat top 2 valve relief. Must stay pump gas friendly.

I am wanting to go with a solid roller set up around .580 to .600 lift area and 248* to 252* on a 108 or 110 LSA

I will eventually run a plate kit on this set up spraying no more than 175-200hp.

I would run a vic jr. intake with a 750 dp.

I am not sure on what head I would like to put on this. I have a old set of 23* bowtie iron heads. But I am thinking I may want to go to an aluminum head. 195-200cc intake runners. What are you guys thoughts or opinions on this.

Would a 2.05 intake valve be beneficial over a 2.02?

My goal is to get this setup for him to run low 11's to high 10 sec zone on motor.

Is this obtainable? Please discuss and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I think just for weight and detonation help I would go with a aluminum head like you suggested and a 2.05 valve is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Solid roller daily driver? And I agree, high 10's is not what I would bet on, low 11's maybe. You'll definitely need an aftermarket head. AFR 195 or similar flow numbers. I was running Protopline heads 200cc on my 355ci and it ran ok. I had a smaller hyd. roller (230/244*) and a little more weight and more gear. I think low 11's is possible, but it'll need a tire and some tuning. I don't see you hitting high 10's with that. And you'll need a cage if you don't already have one installed.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts

Best bang for the buck, you can buy them from Chad.

·
Registered
24,443 Posts
I would ditch the bow ties, and get a good 215 cc, or thereabouts aluminum head, 2.05, or 2.08 valve, and a good, and I do mean one that works, 750 cfm carburetor. The bow ties, out of the box, perform a lot like the 1960’s, early 70’s sbc heads did out of the box. The 492 head to be exact. Flow about 218.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would go with a AFR comp. ported 195 over a 215 for that motor. Theyll flow as good as a 215 and keep the velocity up. I ran an old set of 195s on a 383 pump gas motor, victor jr with a street roller @ 2900lbs and it ran [email protected]

·
Registered
377 Posts
For a first hotrod I think you'd be doing good with your old bow-ties , open up chamber for 10-1 comp , a mild street solid f/t and a rpm air-gap . I would want at least 4.11 gears with 275/60 tire and 350 . Should be more than enough for new driver on street @3000lbs and run 13's easy at track . Then you've got something to upgrade with him after he's gained experience driving and tuning tinkering .

·
Registered
24,443 Posts
If you’re wanting just a spunky daily driver, the bow ties will be fine. If you’re truly wanting to run in the 10’s, get some better heads. Or do a lot of work to the bow ties. They ain’t much out of the box. A factory vortec will kick their ass bad.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was doing some reading and looks like the AFR Comp Race 195's look impressive. Anyone have any real world experience with these? I don't want to put to large of a head on it and it be a dog down low. I'm assuming that a combo like this would be a bit much for a RPM Air gap. That's why I was going to use the victor jr intake.

·
Registered
8,841 Posts
I used a set of AFR 195 comp series heads on a 400 sbc, 11.0:1 compression
236/240 @.050
.600 lift intake .585 exhaust
110 LSA on a 106 Int C/L
performer RPM air gap
850 cfm Demon carb

was in a 97 S-10 Extreme weighed in at 3350 Lbs with driver
had 3.08 rear gears and a TH400(Not needed TH350 would be faster and fine)
full 3" exhaust
guy couldn't drive very well, it went 11.50 @ 120 MPH
drove it to OC Maryland cruise from Lancaster PA, got 17.5 MPG to boot.

OP, Check out AFR's New Enforcer head, supposed to be a Budget USA head to compete with the Chinese stuff and USA made. they'd be a Perfect route for you on this project....

·
Registered
473 Posts
I was doing some reading and looks like the AFR Comp Race 195's look impressive. Anyone have any real world experience with these? I don't want to put to large of a head on it and it be a dog down low. I'm assuming that a combo like this would be a bit much for a RPM Air gap. That's why I was going to use the victor jr intake.
Yes, see my post above.
Street car. Out of groove short shifted to get back in it. Ten teens 133. Tighten shocks 990s 134

1 - 20 of 42 Posts