Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Never hit Newbie Thread
10,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have been one of the biggest talkers of the "good ole days", but lets look at what we are really talking about here. It wasnt the rules that brought all of us together. It wasnt the money that brought the dozens and dozens of cars to Memphis. It wasnt just one thing. It was everything.

Do you really think Scavos Impala stood a chance of winning it all when compared to Samuels Camaro or Spiros's 69? They had the same motors, but they were lighter and quicker. (Sorry Nick)

Do you really think that Stan Shaws original 57 Chevy was going to make the cruise let alone bring home the dough against the Nova of Max Carter or the 1st Gen Camaros of the Detroit Duo of Scott and Dyer? Not hardly. Why do you think he built the "Evil Twin"..

So many people have hit on the reasons why the street scene has been so successful, but few realized it. It used to be about getting your hunk of junk in one of the major magazines, Hot Rod, PHR, Super Chevy, Car Craft, MM&FF, Super Stock & Drag Illustrated just to name a few. THATS WHAT IT WAS ALL ABOUT! The money came second to what mattered most, FAME! How many of you still have the old magazines of your heros of the sport? Who has the issue of Bobby D'Andrea in Super Chevy where it talks about when he was the fastest street car on a M&H Racemaster? Or how about the issue of Super Chevy when Danny Scott and Rick Dyer had their cars in there when the "YENKO" was on the side, with the "K" backwards? Thats what we need to get back to. Push the magaines into getting back into the street car revolution. The magazines are driving the would be fans away from fast street cars and into "pro touring", G-machines, and the like. When was the last time you saw something OTHER than a Ford in a national magaine that had its roots in fast street cars. The Ford guys are on the ball. In any given month, you find a heads up car gracing the pages of one of the store front magaines. Where is our publicity? On the internet?

While the internet is one of the true marvels of the world, it has also made us some lazy ass mo-fo's. We used to wait for months to get results, pictures, and what not. Now we get pissed if there arent results up that night, hell 20 min after the last car went down. Sure, its cool to have your car and your name on some web page somewhere in internet space, but can you take your computer to work and brag about it? What if your grandma wanted to see you in print and she doesnt know the first thing about computers? See where I am going with this?

First and formost we need HARD PRINT! Something we can hold in our hands, show to our friends at the water cooler, and even autograph for our family and friends. We need something NATIONAL not regional. No offence to the Biros, but we need to get the other magaines involved in this.

Hopefully the powers that be can come up with a good enough set of rules that everyone can be comfortable enough to run under. When the Mikhos, and Parents, and Careys, and Madsens, and Gliddens, and Musi's, and everyone else in this world can come together and run together and quit the piddly bitching about shit, then maybe then we can get back to racing...

Sorry for the rant..... these meds are killin me....

Vanilla

·
Registered
259 Posts
Is

magaines = magazines ?

Sorry i couldn't resist. You rant I would of never thought that about you. lol
Hey at least you know somebody read it!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more Vanilla, I still have all the old mag's to look back on because all the pro touring stuff, and everything else that doesn't deal with street car racing sucks!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Vanilla...they do have a magazine...it's the RPM magazine. That is one and then again...did you see the latest Sportsman Drag Racing?

~Marie B.~
P.S. All good things come to those who wait.

·
Never hit Newbie Thread
10,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not trying to be rude, but how many RPM Magazines do you see at the local super market stands? We need to be in magazines that people see while getting a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, and some butter...

Vanilla

·
Administrator
136,620 Posts
How many of you still have the old magazines of your heros of the sport? Who has the issue of Bobby D'Andrea in Super Chevy where it talks about when he was the fastest street car on a M&H Racemaster? Or how about the issue of Super Chevy when Danny Scott and Rick Dyer had their cars in there when the "YENKO" was on the side, with the "K" backwards?
Me!!! :-D :-D :-D

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
:smt023

Your right on man, and if one of you buddies called and asked if you seen the new july issue of yada yada yada and told you all about it you would still run to the store and buy one just have it, Nothing better than seeing Joey Yatooma,(spelling???) Mike Moran and other locals in a magazine or video after seeing those same cars on the street!!!! man those were the days Streets were packed every fri and sat nights on Tele, with true street racers!!!! Damn I miss those days :cry:

·
Registered
744 Posts
:smt023

How about the Hot Rod issue with Dyer driving his Camaro around downtown Hollywood!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Vanilla said:
Not trying to be rude, but how many RPM Magazines do you see at the local super market stands? We need to be in magazines that people see while getting a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, and some butter...

Vanilla
Vanilla...that was rude...lol!

I'm sure that they are working on that issue as well...just sit tight!

~Marie B.~

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
I know I have been one of the biggest talkers of the "good ole days", but lets look at what we are really talking about here. It wasnt the rules that brought all of us together. It wasnt the money that brought the dozens and dozens of cars to Memphis. It wasnt just one thing. It was everything.

Do you really think Scavos Impala stood a chance of winning it all when compared to Samuels Camaro or Spiros's 69? They had the same motors, but they were lighter and quicker. (Sorry Nick)

Do you really think that Stan Shaws original 57 Chevy was going to make the cruise let alone bring home the dough against the Nova of Max Carter or the 1st Gen Camaros of the Detroit Duo of Scott and Dyer? Not hardly. Why do you think he built the "Evil Twin"..

So many people have hit on the reasons why the street scene has been so successful, but few realized it. It used to be about getting your hunk of junk in one of the major magazines, Hot Rod, PHR, Super Chevy, Car Craft, MM&FF, Super Stock & Drag Illustrated just to name a few. THATS WHAT IT WAS ALL ABOUT! The money came second to what mattered most, FAME! How many of you still have the old magazines of your heros of the sport? Who has the issue of Bobby D'Andrea in Super Chevy where it talks about when he was the fastest street car on a M&H Racemaster? Or how about the issue of Super Chevy when Danny Scott and Rick Dyer had their cars in there when the "YENKO" was on the side, with the "K" backwards? Thats what we need to get back to. Push the magaines into getting back into the street car revolution. The magazines are driving the would be fans away from fast street cars and into "pro touring", G-machines, and the like. When was the last time you saw something OTHER than a Ford in a national magaine that had its roots in fast street cars. The Ford guys are on the ball. In any given month, you find a heads up car gracing the pages of one of the store front magaines. Where is our publicity? On the internet?

While the internet is one of the true marvels of the world, it has also made us some lazy ass mo-fo's. We used to wait for months to get results, pictures, and what not. Now we get pissed if there arent results up that night, hell 20 min after the last car went down. Sure, its cool to have your car and your name on some web page somewhere in internet space, but can you take your computer to work and brag about it? What if your grandma wanted to see you in print and she doesnt know the first thing about computers? See where I am going with this?

First and formost we need HARD PRINT! Something we can hold in our hands, show to our friends at the water cooler, and even autograph for our family and friends. We need something NATIONAL not regional. No offence to the Biros, but we need to get the other magaines involved in this.

Hopefully the powers that be can come up with a good enough set of rules that everyone can be comfortable enough to run under. When the Mikhos, and Parents, and Careys, and Madsens, and Gliddens, and Musi's, and everyone else in this world can come together and run together and quit the piddly bitching about shit, then maybe then we can get back to racing...

Sorry for the rant..... these meds are killin me....

Vanilla
I think this still holds true..............

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
How many of you still have the old magazines of your heros of the sport? Who has the issue of Bobby D'Andrea in Super Chevy where it talks about when he was the fastest street car on a M&H Racemaster? Or how about the issue of Super Chevy when Danny Scott and Rick Dyer had their cars in there when the "YENKO" was on the side, with the "K" backwards?
I still do.
who has had the issue of a certain mens magazine with Rick Dyers old '57 Vette in it?
I did at one time.

·
Registered
15,065 Posts
I still do.
who has had the issue of a certain mens magazine with Rick Dyers old '57 Vette in it?
I did at one time.
I have photos of ricks corvette at the street machine nationals in springfield illinois!;)

·
Never hit Newbie Thread
10,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow... talk about digging up a relic... How long did it take for you to find it????

Vanilla

1 - 20 of 29 Posts