Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Pontiac aficionado
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF dude. I paid right around 800 for my Murray mower in 2007. The same style in 2021 is 2 grand. So things have more then doubled in 15 years. What other products have just gone nuts and wages not even close to match the cost .

Beuller, Beuller.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Car batteries. I've been using the Autozone replacements since I finished my '79 Mustang Cobra back in '04. The first one was $50.00 in '04. The second one was $100.00 in '11. The third one was $150.00 back in '18. I get about 7 years out of them and then they die. I bet the next one will be $225.00.

Reactions: Some Car Guy

·
Registered
21,478 Posts
Car batteries. I've been using the Autozone replacements since I finished my '79 Mustang Cobra back in '04. The first one was $50.00 in '04. The second one was $100.00 in '11. The third one was $150.00 back in '18. I get about 7 years out of them and then they die. I bet the next one will be $225.00.
I've got an Interstate dealer near me and a new battery with a 6 year warranty is $100. Refurb with a 2 year warranty 49.99

·
Registered
403 Posts
14 years out of $1055 dollars. $800 in 2007 is $1055 in 2021 dollars.
Buddyro he got his money's worth. Either piece the Murray back together or buy a better value mower. Nothing I hate worse is having a mower break down in the middle of cutting grass!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
WTF dude. I paid right around 800 for my Murray mower in 2007. The same style in 2021 is 2 grand. So things have more then doubled in 15 years. What other products have just gone nuts and wages not even close to match the cost .

Beuller, Beuller.
You may be better off buying used mowers like yours for $100 or $200 and robbing the parts off of them. My buddy's got a 1999 Sears Craftsman ride on tractor/mower that we're still using today because I cannibalize other lawn mowers that we find for free of for cheap. As long as the motor is running good, everything else is easily swapped. His deck rotted out last year so I found one that had a perfectly good deck and rebuilt it with two new spindles then sharpened the blades. I've also swapped tires that were going flat or went bald with used tires that were better. Of course, some stuff we have to buy new such as those spindles but we've also replaced the battery a few times and bought a brand new seat from Amazon for cheap money.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I totally agree buy old used one and most of the time it will last a couple of years buy one you can find parts for real JD not the chain store ones those are JUNK

·
Age of Acquiescence
33,086 Posts
I would wager the $2K Murray model is a higher end model then your $700 one.

Our 2011 Husqvarna YTH23V48" riding mower with a US made B&S motor was ~$1899 new
Its a smidge over ~$2100 now roughly a decade later

I just sold it for $750 a month ago. 2x what I was going to sell it for a year ago.

We replaced it with a JD ZTR

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
This Toro (Ford) was $22,000+ new. They can be found
used for around $4,000 - $5,000 & worth every penny.
45 HP with a 6 foot cut, Dana axle & hydro trans.

I've had this used one for 8 years, it just runs & mows.
The last one I had was the diesel one, used 13 years,
maintenance only, never a repair!

Once you use one of these, you'll never go back to a
cheapo mower ever again!

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I cut my grass with a 40 inch murray I bought used in 2005. I bought a newer craftsman and hated that thing. It cut funny and rode like a brick. I just keep up the maintenance and old girl keeps going. But I did buy another one just like it for parts just in case.

·
Official Cactus Dealer
8,212 Posts
You may be better off buying used mowers like yours for $100 or $200 and robbing the parts off of them. My buddy's got a 1999 Sears Craftsman ride on tractor/mower that we're still using today because I cannibalize other lawn mowers that we find for free of for cheap. As long as the motor is running good, everything else is easily swapped. His deck rotted out last year so I found one that had a perfectly good deck and rebuilt it with two new spindles then sharpened the blades. I've also swapped tires that were going flat or went bald with used tires that were better. Of course, some stuff we have to buy new such as those spindles but we've also replaced the battery a few times and bought a brand new seat from Amazon for cheap money.
I got an 01 Sears craftsman riding mower. Had very few issues. Just replaced the back tires last year cause one had a slow leak. Other than changing the oil and fuel filter and tossing a new belt and blades at it every other year I’ve had very few issues. In fact in august had a huge tree limb come down on it smash the hood the air filter sits cock eyed and the rear fenders were bent down to the tires but after pulling up the fenders and taking what remained of the hood off the damn thing runs and mows like new still
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Official Cactus Dealer
8,212 Posts
^ I could use some parts off that !
Phuck you! I’m still running the ol girl. Mowed today with her. Cuts like brand new still. Who needs a hood anyway. Plus now my son wants me to cut the exhaust pipes off at the muffler and turn them straight up lol

Reactions: Pc3427
1 - 20 of 23 Posts