Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slow Monday night so I figure I will post up a build my Pops and I have been working on for just over a year. We have been racing my "Import" (92 Plymouth Laser RS AWD) since 2005 and decided to dive a little deeper into a build we both wanted to do.

I ended up selling off some parts from the DSM and picked up this 70 AMC Hornet off craigslist last June for $2,000.i didn't tell my wife and let the car sit in the trailer until August when I went to Ohio for a race, that went over well! Initially the plan was just to V8 swap the car and run some local Index racing in the 11's. I will post updates from the start up to where we are at now then keep this updated.

Picking the car up from down Cape Cod @ a house built by Bob Vila'. You can see his old shop (no seriously look at the building!) the car Was a older father son resto but showed promise, only thing I could see the car as was a race car!

Relatively Solid we felt-

And the trusty AMC straight 6 saw its last few days alive-

All of this brings us to August 2013.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
At this point, we bought the car not running (needed a starter and a tune up) but we knew the car would never drive with the straight 6. So I went on the Hunt for a motor, my father has a 401/tunnel rammed 68 AMX so we knew we could not pull AMC sacrilege and power it with anything but Kenosha power.

If you do not know, AMC motors are stupid and cost a shitload. Most of the guys who have them have like 10 of them and do not want to sell any of them. Luckily I came across an original non rebuilt mid 70's 401 core complete oil pan to intake.

Boy it was crusty up top-

Downstairs showed promise though-

Also scooped up a pretty new set of Doug's headers that were kicking around the shop of the guy we bought the motor from, primary's might be a tad small for where we are going but we will see-

Now that we had some form of a bullet (or at least an idea of one),we knew the next step was pulling the straight 6, so out she came

This brought us up to Oct 2013, getting ready now to spend some $$ on parts and get the build going.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jumped in on 1 of Aerspace's many 20% off sales and dropped some weight up front and put some updated technology into the brakes.

Then decided to strip down the interior of all the original stuff, remove the carpet and get it prepped for some chassis work. After removing the carpeting, found some crusty spots that were hidden by the undercoating.

Driver side was much better, only surface-

I had sourced a 9" housing with Strange 36 splines from a Falcon, had hoped it would be close to a direct bolt in so out came the stock AMC diff-

And it fit with factory leaf location-

Then ordered my Pro Nodular with 4.10/spool

I had Prostars from another project and wanted to use them, fitted them with an old set of 28x10.5's I had so I could check my clearances, had to add a 1/2" spacer to get them off the leaf-

Loosely fitted everything and had to roll it outside, tires rubbed the leafs without having a spacer but gave me some motivation!

I decided that I was not happy with the fitment/spacing required to get them to work with the stock leaf location and felt they stuck out too far for the look I want. So at this point decided I wanted to relocate the leafs and at this time we would do the subframe connectors and fix the passenger side floor.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now into Feb/March and tore into the floor repair, leaf relocation and getting the rear suspension selected.

Found the previous owner filled the inside of the 1/4's with great stuff, no idea what the goal was for that but had to peel that shit out.

Then went into sectioning the floor pans to get some solid metal back in there-

Very surprised to find Hornet replacement floor pans on Ebay, glad that was available-

Then cut back in and out the subframe connectors in through the floor, then moved on to relocate the leafs using A body mopar frame rail boxes

Obviously you can see out rear suspension choice- Calvert Mono leafs, a set of caltracs and Afco sliders. Had to notch the frame box a tad to be able to use the upper caltracs hole if needed- factory location towards the body in this photo, moved the Leaf into the rails-

Sliders went right on the rail, rear roll pan/after axle overhang on these cars is really short so did not leave much room, thinking of shortening the leafs up a tad with the center pin-

Originally these cars used a staggered shock setup, Calvert recommended behind axle so we made some measurements and ordered up the QA1 DA's and made up a shock bar to change that-

Finally rolls on its own-

Now time to move into the interior, also engine progress coming soon. Sitting around March 2014 at this point.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found a great deal from a buddy and scooped up 2 Kirkeys and got them into the car so when it came time for cage work it would be set-

Then tax season came and decided to splurge, IQ3, had our 727 gone through by Tony Apuzzo with a load of new parts from John Cope (billet drum, ultimate sprag, rollerized, A&A clean neutral VB etc) and decided on a precision performance products shifter.

We decided to use Carlquist Competition Engines in CT to build the motor. Dropped it off in November and we were getting close to having it done in June when we decided to tear into getting the car wired while we awaited the motor. We are still finishing up some of the wiring but overall it is very close. My father spent some time researching and he made the call and decided to use Spaghetti Menders and added the nitrous controls for down the road. Once the wiring was in, we used Massachusetts tax free weekend to order our MSD Grid setup through our local Pep Boys speed shop for a good discount.

This gets us pretty current, next update is a completed motor.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Looks great!! glad to something different than a Mustang, Nova or Camaro

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You, I have a basic built fox body and I do love the cars, but they are just a dime a dozen now. We Figure this should open a few eyes since you nnever really see any AMC powered AMC's and if you did it's likely to be an AMX or Gremlin.

I will not be able to run with the big boys but if I can get it down into the 5's on the jug that should atleast get me qualified in our local tracks X275 program.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rewinding back to after we picked up the motor, we looked around to find someone who had some experiance building AMC's and came across Carlquist Competition Engines in CT. drove down and dropped off our "core" in November and waited to hear back on block.crank condition etc. Everything came back pretty good and we decided to move forward. Initially we really wanted to use Indy heads but Bill was very leary of doing any work with or on Indy products with their poor QC. After some deliberation it was decided to use the Edelbrock heads and spend some time on the bench with them to get us where we wanted to be.

Building these AMC's is not cheap and it limited some of out options and what power we could make within reason. We decided to shoot for a goal of 550hp N/A then experiment with Nitrous later on. Months went by and a few parts that were originally planned became unavailable.

Engine ended up as a 405" with just under 13.0:1 compression, Molnar rods, Weisco Pistons, Indy Intake, QF 850 carb and made 581hp peak @7,000 and 517tq @ 5300. Makes 490+tq by 4500. overall we were happy with the outcome and eager to get the car running. A few changes will be made and hopefully try to drop a few more lbs out of the car.

Dyno Sheet-

Head Flow-

And overall Specs-

Video on the Dyno-
http://s29.photobucket.com/user/KyleCim/media/F2552286-C1FD-4292-B37C-7497654C70FE_zpsr53rkimp.mp4.html

This is where we sit now for the most part. Finishing up some wiring, ordered a electric water pump and moving onto the fuel system next.

·
Registered
95 Posts
awesome build my brother had a hatchback in the mid 80's lots of fun with old hornet

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wiring tested all good. Ignition, fuel pump, starter, racepak and lighting all test good. Saving a few pennies for the electric water pump, once that is wired in we are set to go besides figuring out directionals. Only factory wiring left is the wires running to headlights and tailights which is now wired into the spaghetti menders.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
sweet build and local to boot !!

·
draggin' ass
13,408 Posts
When do you get to roll cage work? Really cool build so far.

·
Read Only
5,341 Posts
Very cool build. Great little car, be curious to see how fast it runs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am eager to see what we can do as well. It will strongly depend on a few things and will be a large learning curve for us but once we get a handle on the car I think it could go pretty damn good for what it is.

Main goal is going to be getting the car as light as I can, obviously much of this depends on $$. I do not have the funds to try and run this car on a national level or be competitive but if I can get this thing down to the 2,550lbs that is allowed for NEDX275 rules (small block Nos on a 4150 carb) it should be good enough for us. With roughly a 200 setup in the kit and the car set up right it *should* be capable of 5.60-5.80's which would at-least qualify me in the #8 to 10 spot of this years NED X275 ladder.

Obviously this is all bullshit ass bench racing but it helps us to keep positive with a longer build like this. :rolleyes:

·
Disconnected
3,444 Posts
It was said earlier in the thread and I agree. I would be proud to own that too. AMC is cool. My old man was said to have raced a '70 AMX with a 390 and 4 speed in the late 70's/early 80's but I never saw it and barely know the guy.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I am eager to see what we can do as well. It will strongly depend on a few things and will be a large learning curve for us but once we get a handle on the car I think it could go pretty damn good for what it is.

Main goal is going to be getting the car as light as I can, obviously much of this depends on $$. I do not have the funds to try and run this car on a national level or be competitive but if I can get this thing down to the 2,550lbs that is allowed for NEDX275 rules (small block Nos on a 4150 carb) it should be good enough for us. With roughly a 200 setup in the kit and the car set up right it *should* be capable of 5.60-5.80's which would at-least qualify me in the #8 to 10 spot of this years NED X275 ladder.

Obviously this is all bullshit ass bench racing but it helps us to keep positive with a longer build like this. :rolleyes:
not sure how far off you will be but , might be a good index car as well .....8.50 or so
capable of running more than class , nice to have the options

1 - 20 of 304 Posts