Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The skin doesn't come out like paper any more. (y)
I put them in a bowl and add mayo.
Ingredient Wood Dish Cuisine Vegetable

Season them with Meat Church.
Food Table Tableware Ingredient Recipe

Smoke them with hickory at 400 deg for about 45 min. to an hour.
Indirect heat of coarse.
Food Kitchen appliance Ingredient Recipe Home appliance

I added a little BBQ sauce to some.
Then, put them over the coals to do it dirty.
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Cooking

·
Registered
145 Posts
Most of the BBQ joints around here smoke them and then flash fry in the deep fryer to get the best of both worlds! Your method looks good too!

·
Senior Moment
7,799 Posts
never did mayo on them, but i know mayo is kind of odd, in that it doesn't affect the taste (in BBQ) in a typical mayo way. Beyond that, I've made wings a zillion different ways including hybrids of the 2 described above. I think the biggest gamechanger I've made was a vortex for my weber kettle.
It's a lot of bullshit fucking around, but the last batch I did, I dusted with cayenne (grown/ground myself), cold smoked in my Masterbuilt for about 2 hrs (smoke tube), threw 'em on the weber/vortex for about 40 min. (500*-550*) tossed 'em in a local sauce I love, threw back on for about 5 min., to get the sauce set/kinda soaked in, then tossed 'em sauce again.
They were pretty good, though I'll continue in my endless search for the ultimate wing!! :unsure:

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Haven't done it on wings, but I've been using mayo as my binder for a while now. Seems to help build a crust earlier on leaner meats. I wouldn't think wings would need the help, but I'm going to give it a try.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't done it on wings, but I've been using mayo as my binder for a while now. Seems to help build a crust earlier on leaner meats. I wouldn't think wings would need the help, but I'm going to give it a try.
It helps with the skin. It doesn't come out like paper.
Seems like every time I make wings, the skin is chewy and paper like.
I`ve used the mayo the last couple times and they are very moist and the skin is good. And you cant taste the mayo either.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
It helps with the skin. It doesn't come out like paper.
Seems like every time I make wings, the skin is chewy and paper like.
I`ve used the mayo the last couple times and they are very moist and the skin is good. And you cant taste the mayo either.
I would assume the use of mayo on the wings is the same concept of using mustard on a brisket to hold the seasoning. Never taste it after it's cooked. We used to use mayo on chicken legs to hold batter before we deep fried them. Same concept and and end results.

·
Senior Moment
7,799 Posts
mayo helps batter cling? Interesting. I've never considered that. I wonder how might help fish....

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I would assume the use of mayo on the wings is the same concept of using mustard on a brisket to hold the seasoning. Never taste it after it's cooked. We used to use mayo on chicken legs to hold batter before we deep fried them. Same concept and and end results.
Just about anything will do the job as a rub binder, but I think the extra fat content from the mayo is really whats making a difference.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I`ve used grape seed oil before and I found the mayo is much better.
You can taste the oil when they`re done.
I forgot to add a pic of the ones I didn't sauce?
Food Ingredient Recipe Pork Cuisine

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have been using Mayo on my smoked turkeys and chicken for years, it’s essentially oil and turns the skin golden brown with a nice texture, never thought of using it for wings, but my next batch will be the op’s recipe

·
Former RJ instigator
43,736 Posts
It's the oil content in the mayo, I just brush on a little cooking oil, same results, a lot less fuss.

Those wings look great BTW, not sure what rub you're using, but if you haven't tried it yet, get some Everglades Cactus dust, oh man, that stuff is the bomb on poultry, it is my go to now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts