Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Real Estate Tycoon
16,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually picked this up when I came home from the sandbox in November. It had been on my "want list" for awhile. Savage Model 10 FP in .308, and yes, it's the accutrigger version..

...it's getting a Millett scope in the not too distant future.:)

·
Premium Member
102,312 Posts
Okay all is cool, I just checked the closet mine is still there :-D Congrats on a nice rifle.

·
Real Estate Tycoon
16,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Yep, I love it. It's a great shooter too. I picked it up used (less than 20 rounds through it) as it is in the pics, with the exception of the Harris bipod, for a REAL good price.:D

·
Registered
13,345 Posts
I'm going to have one just like it real soon!

I was reminded again about how well Savages shoot.

I've got a cheap 204 Savage that I picked up at Gander a while back. One of those combo guns that comes with the cheap 3-9x Simmons scope, Light barrel and shitty stock. I pulled the scope and threw on a cheap Tasco 8-32x. After league last Saturday, with a load it loves, it put five into .280" at 100 yards. I almost fell over.

Savage's shoot like no others.

·
Friendly Shit Stirrer
17,285 Posts

I've got a cheap 204 Savage that I picked up at Gander a while back. One of those combo guns that comes with the cheap 3-9x Simmons scope, Light barrel and shitty stock. I pulled the scope and threw on a cheap Tasco 8-32x. After league last Saturday, with a load it loves, it put five into .280" at 100 yards. I almost fell over.

What load do you like Steve? My skinny barreled savage liked reloader 10x and 748 and n133. It also shot the sierra bullets better than the hornade vmax. I have some xbr-8208 loaded up,but have not shot them yet.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts

yeah that was sweet Steve. you gona try that load out to 300yrds?

by the way Nice Savage OP

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I just got one of those too, a few months ago, .. during break in we had three inside of an inch @ 100, .. out of the first five rounds through it!!
Same weekend, next day, .. cold bore at 200, .. three in the same hole!!

It's one bad ass rifle, .. best money I ever spent, ..

congrats,

curtis

·
Impeach obama
6,174 Posts
nice rifle!

Thank you for your service also.

As soon as this electrical job is done I am buying a new toy, you guys are making me get rifle envy!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
First and foremost, thanks for your service and welcome back.

Second, glad to hear you like it. I'm going to be getting a Savage Model 10 FCP-K (in .308) real soon. I'm also planning on putting the Millett TRS-1 scope on top.

Can't wait to get that one in...

·
Registered
13,345 Posts
What load do you like Steve? My skinny barreled savage liked reloader 10x and 748 and n133. It also shot the sierra bullets better than the hornade vmax. I have some xbr-8208 loaded up,but have not shot them yet.
That load is 24.2 grs. of 10x, Rem. 71/2 primer and 39gr. Sierra BK. My OAL is 2.390, so I got the bullets way out there. These 204's have alot of freebore. I tried and tried to get the lighter stuff to shoot (32 gr.) but it just wouldn't happen. I had another load to try that day, which was basically the same except with Berger 35gr. match bullets. That didn't shoot well either. Oddly enough, I couldn't get 40gr. V-max's to shoot either. But the Sierra bullet load must be the sweet spot. It was cold as hell last saturday, too. I think that helped the barrel from getting hot.

I have some 8208 that I was going to try in the 204, but with 10x doing so well I'm going to try it in my .223 instead. I can't find much for load data, though, and what I do find seems pretty conservative. I was going to PM you last nite and ask if you had any info. If you do, pass it along. I want to see if I can improve on my Varget loads.:-D

·
Friendly Shit Stirrer
17,285 Posts
That load is 24.2 grs. of 10x, Rem. 71/2 primer and 39gr. Sierra BK. My OAL is 2.390, so I got the bullets way out there. These 204's have alot of freebore. I tried and tried to get the lighter stuff to shoot (32 gr.) but it just wouldn't happen. I had another load to try that day, which was basically the same except with Berger 35gr. match bullets. That didn't shoot well either. Oddly enough, I couldn't get 40gr. V-max's to shoot either. But the Sierra bullet load must be the sweet spot. It was cold as hell last saturday, too. I think that helped the barrel from getting hot.

I have some 8208 that I was going to try in the 204, but with 10x doing so well I'm going to try it in my .223 instead. I can't find much for load data, though, and what I do find seems pretty conservative. I was going to PM you last nite and ask if you had any info. If you do, pass it along. I want to see if I can improve on my Varget loads.:-D

8208 in my 223 with sierra 52,53 gr match bullets is 25.6 grs with a rem 7 1/2 or F205 primer. Warning this is a max load so start alittle under and work up. I have also used this same load with a 55 gr nosler bt

I think your choice of reloader 10 is a great choice. Do you ever notice any dirty burning with it?

·
Race Pages Magazine
2,532 Posts
First I'm also planning on putting the Millett TRS-1 scope on top.

You know, normally I try to steer folks away from cheap optics, becuse I've gone through so many myself, and I've learned to "Buy once, cry once," the hard way.

That said, The Millett TRS-1 takes a lot of shit from glass-snobs, but damned if the used one I bought back when I couldn't afford anything more didn't track well and make hits out to 1000 yards. Plus, I like the modified Mil-dot-bar reticle they use. Now that it's available in Mil/Mil, with a better turret design, damned if that doesn't make for a feature-heavy starter scope.

It's definitely in the running if I ever get my .22 trainer project off the ground.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
You know, normally I try to steer folks away from cheap optics, becuse I've gone through so many myself, and I've learned to "Buy once, cry once," the hard way.

That said, The Millett TRS-1 takes a lot of shit from glass-snobs, but damned if the used one I bought back when I couldn't afford anything more didn't track well and make hits out to 1000 yards. Plus, I like the modified Mil-dot-bar reticle they use. Now that it's available in Mil/Mil, with a better turret design, damned if that doesn't make for a feature-heavy starter scope.

It's definitely in the running if I ever get my .22 trainer project off the ground.
Thanks for the feedback, Donut. It's good to hear from someone who has actually used it that it is a decent piece of glass.

·
Registered
13,345 Posts
8208 in my 223 with sierra 52,53 gr match bullets is 25.6 grs with a rem 7 1/2 or F205 primer. Warning this is a max load so start alittle under and work up. I have also used this same load with a 55 gr nosler bt

I think your choice of reloader 10 is a great choice. Do you ever notice any dirty burning with it?
I knew I could count on you.:-D I've got a new box of Sierra 53gr. match bullets on the shelf. I'll start at 24.8 and see what happens this weekend.

As far as the 10x, I haven't noticed it being too dirty. But, I've just used it in the 204 so far.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Nice rifle, I have one also. The Savage will out shoot the 700 out of the box most of the time, if not all of the time. Get rid of that factory stock. The Choate Tactical stock is excellent, especially for the money. Have fun!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts