Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a new combo I'm trying this year. It's a stock crank, aftermarket rods and Wiesco piston with a set of AFR 225's. Prosystem 850, NX Gemini Twin Plate on top of a Vic jr. Pump Gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC9afa8lVzM

I'll have a vid up in a couple of weeks when I tune my car on N2o on the chassis dyno.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Why in the hell did he shut it down at 6600? She's also a tad lean.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nice setup. I'm going to run something similar but with a smaller intake manifold. Mind sharing your cam specs?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why in the hell did he shut it down at 6600? She's also a tad lean.
I wanted to run it to 7000 but my egine builder wanted to be on the safe side. It will see 7000 on the bottle. It looks lean but I also checked it with my wide band and it was good. The dyno I used is always off with the afr. Superflow calculates the amount of fuel used and the amount of air ingested to figure out the afr. I think it sucks because it uses math equations instead of a real O2 #. It is off between .5 to 1.0 on the screen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice setup. I'm going to run something similar but with a smaller intake manifold. Mind sharing your cam specs?
239/247 623/623 112lsa

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
I wanted to run it to 7000 but my egine builder wanted to be on the safe side. It will see 7000 on the bottle.
People are turning stock bottom ends to 7500+.

GONEB4U said:
It looks lean but I also checked it with my wide band and it was good. The dyno I used is always off with the afr. Superflow calculates the amount of fuel used and the amount of air ingested to figure out the afr. I think it sucks because it uses math equations instead of a real O2 #. It is off between .5 to 1.0 on the screen.
10-4

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
GONEB4U, I'm willing to bet your engine builder is an old skool SBC guy.......knows how to build an engine.......just fall's back onto "yesterday" a bit much.

Any truth?

·
Registered
19,905 Posts
i have almost the exact setup, only in a 403, same heads and all-prob could use a custom cam though-just a shelf cam now
on a chassis dyno i made 617 RWHP, with a D1SC Procharger, 11 lbs boost under the carb
in my 3900 lb Chevelle (with me) i have run some 9.9's, but it doesnt 60' very good, just a street car(only have a 6 pt bar)
on the dyno it max'ed out at 6400 rpm, thought it would go higher, AFR's are still a little rich, 22 degs total adv, a little on the edge
i run a CSU 750 carb
be interesting to see the hit on nitrous when you do it

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GONEB4U, I'm willing to bet your engine builder is an old skool SBC guy.......knows how to build an engine.......just fall's back onto "yesterday" a bit much.

Any truth?
You hit the nail on the head. He's a great engine builder but he's a little bit "old School". He does all of Eastside Performance's engine builds. So he has been around.

I'll let you guys know what it does on the bottle and be sure to post a vid of it on the wheel dyno.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. He's a great engine builder but he's a little bit "old School". He does all of Eastside Performance's engine builds. So he has been around.

I'll let you guys know what it does on the bottle and be sure to post a vid of it on the wheel dyno.
Kinda figured such although it is nothing against him at all. I just recognize old skool thinking and practices. I would have turned that bitch to 8500 or until the valves floated, which ever came first.

Good luck man, nice stuff!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kinda figured such although it is nothing against him at all. I just recognize old skool thinking and practices. I would have turned that bitch to 8500 or until the valves floated, which ever came first.

Good luck man, nice stuff!
I'll let you guys know what rpm it likes on the wheel dyno.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
i have almost the exact setup, only in a 403, same heads and all-prob could use a custom cam though-just a shelf cam now
on a chassis dyno i made 617 RWHP, with a D1SC Procharger, 11 lbs boost under the carb
in my 3900 lb Chevelle (with me) i have run some 9.9's, but it doesnt 60' very good, just a street car(only have a 6 pt bar)
on the dyno it max'ed out at 6400 rpm, thought it would go higher, AFR's are still a little rich, 22 degs total adv, a little on the edge
i run a CSU 750 carb
be interesting to see the hit on nitrous when you do it
Maybe its just me, but it sure seems like you should be making more power than that.

·
Registered
19,905 Posts
thats what i thought to, but they always say the dyno reads low, lol-may not be the best cam selection, idles at 800
i have seen cars with higher RWHP go slower, and mines not setup for the track, so i just view it as #'s, used for getting a tune closer

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
People are turning stock bottom ends to 7500+.
They ALL MOST go 1500rpm more than that.... try it some time, it's entertainment to watch;)

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So what do you guys think is a safe RPM to turn it on N2O? Spinning it to the moon doesn't make any sense either if your just doing it to say that you did it.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
The same as you would turn it N/A. On the engine dyno the HP hadn't even peaked at the 6600 shut down. On the chassis dyno, make a few N/A pulls to around 7400 to make sure you're A/F is good at upper rpm's. Spray it to the same.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts