Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... ok boy and girls ... my 13 year old son told me his science teacher in class today held up a piece of paper and told them that it is lighter than air. .... he proved this to them by weighing a balloon then blowing it up , reweighing it and subtracting the weight of the balloon ... then he weighed the piece of paper ..... anyone else spot the huge flaws in this mans thinking .... WTF!!!!!!!

·
Habitual Linestepper
1,457 Posts
.... ok boy and girls ... my 13 year old son told me his science teacher in class today held up a piece of paper and told them that it is lighter than air. .... he proved this to them by weighing a balloon then blowing it up , reweighing it and subtracting the weight of the balloon ... then he weighed the piece of paper ..... anyone else spot the huge flaws in this mans thinking .... WTF!!!!!!!
Teacher must have used his cocain scales, they always read heavy.;)

·
The Murder Smurf
1,482 Posts
LOL, if paper was lighter then air, it would float. take helium, for example.. what a douche.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so whats 13.07 cubic feet of paper weigh hahahaha

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The air is pressurized.
thats what i explained to my kid ... and that it would take more than one cubic foot of air to fill a one cubic foot balloon i went alot more into detail and he understands ...

·
all motor
4,461 Posts

just for the record,

air does have weight. atmospheric pressure is already 14.07 at sea level.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just for the record,

air does have weight. atmospheric pressure is already 14.07 at sea level.
this is true ... but one cubic ft of air at 14.07 psi does not weigh more than one cubic ft of paper

·
Long Live The King
102,183 Posts
A large enough volume of air is heavier than a piece of paper....
Yep.... it's about volume.

Teacher is still an idiot. Have the kid ask him what weighs more 10 lbs of rocks or 10lbs of cotton balls.

G-

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

G-
my boy understands that now but the way the teacher showed and explained it .. all these kids now think paper is lighter than air

·
Banned
9,346 Posts
You should get your kid suspended....heres how

Monday he should tell the teacher his head is heavier than the teacher.

When he says why? Your kid says mine has a brain yours is just full of air.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Reminds me of my high school chemistry & physics teacher.

One winter morning he thawed his car door locks with hot water, which refroze on his way to school.

Even the rest of the faculty has a good laugh watching him try to kick his door open in the parking lot.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not trying to be the devils advocate here, but the problem with this example is a little fuzzy for me. He demonstrated a balloon sized volume of air is heavier than a sheet of paper.

I am guessing he was trying to provoke conversation about why paper doesn't float if it is lighter than air, which appears to be very effective given the response it's provoking here. The discussion that followed was likely about the volume of the air vs. the volume of the paper.

Brian
EFI-Unlimited

·
Registered
26,607 Posts

Teacher is still an idiot. Have the kid ask him what weighs more 10 lbs of rocks or 10lbs of cotton balls.

G-
I will take cotton balls.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts