Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a street driven 63 Nova with a GMPP crate 454HO all-iron engine, TH350 and 3.08 gears. Since the static compression was low at 8.75, most of the engine pieces were forged, and the cam specs were decent, I thought it would be an excellent candidate for a supercharger. As it sat, it had about 6000 street miles and a few track times all around 11.70.
I called Steve and he said that he had a bunch of experience with my combination. He asked me what my goals were. I told him I did not want to touch the engine, trans or rearend at all, and I wanted to run consistent very low 10's in the quarter and run a 6.50 index in the eighth. He said that it would be fairly easy to accomplish that kind of performance and still retain decent street car manners.
I did everything he told me....bought a serpentine driven F1 Procharger setup from him along with his recommendation on a blow through carb from Pro Systems (he said they make an excellent street/strip carb and that he would give them the technical info and it should just bolt on with no further adjustments by me.)
To make a long story shorter, I bolted everything up myself with occassional input from Steve and then took it out to the track on a TnT session. My first run was 6.400 @ 108.86 in the eighth, and a [email protected] in the quarter. Needless to say, I was ecstatic.
Steve has always been available to me whenever I needed him, and his advice has always proven to be just what I needed to reach my goals. The engineering and quality of parts from Procharger is much superior to anything I have done relative to centrifugal superchargers in the distant past and I now have many successful trips to the track and a broad grin on my face thanks to Steve and Procharger!!!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Things only go great to better when you work with the best in the business!!! Another VERY happy Steve Morris customer here.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Things only go great to better when you work with the best in the business!!! Another VERY happy Steve Morris customer here.
x2:)

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I've know Steve Morris for probably about 10 years now. Spent a week with him in his shop and home about 4-5 years ago. Steve is an exceptional person. One that in your life time will stand out to remember. His attitude in life, his kindness and caring for individuals hits a high mark on the bar we should all strive for.

His mechanicial aptitude is amazing. Dose not matter if your running an off shore boat racer, tractor puller, SS/AA Hemi or ProCharged/Turbocharged racer he is on top of it. That mechanical ability is not just something you learn, it's a gift your blessed with.

I'm proud to call him a friend and fellow believer. Good job Steve.

Blessings................Ron Clevenger.

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
Steve is a genuine person the times that I have dealt with him. He is not a guy that will just tell you what you want to hear to make a sale. He truly cares about his customers and their goals. I just recently made a mistake when purchasing parts for my motor and got myself into a bind. I bought the wrong pins with my pistons and had a possible grenade on my hands. I called Steve and explained my problem and he quickly came up with the correct pin that I needed to run . I decided that I wanted to send my engine to him to have the pins replaced and the motor gone through to make sure that I did not make any further oversights when assembling my engine. I called Steve and talked it over with him and told him that I would be making the four hour drive out to his shop to drop my engine off. He quickly replied that there was no need to make the trip because one of his guys was going to be in my neck of the woods so he would be able to pick the engine up from me and save me the drive. That is what I consider going above and beyond to help out a customer !!! Thanks Steve !!

·
Registered
776 Posts
How's that for an engine builder tuner. You dialed the car in at 10 flat by phone request, and he supplied the parts that went 10.01 on the first pass! LOL...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How's that for an engine builder tuner. You dialed the car in at 10 flat by phone request, and he supplied the parts that went 10.01 on the first pass! LOL...
That's one of the reasons I put all the exclamation points!!!!!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
How much pressure do you run your setup at? Ive got a 454HO with a single 88mm turbo on it, so far just street driven, it runs pretty good 15-16psi. Thanks for the info, interesting for another boosted 454HO owner to hear about.

·
"Less talk, more thought"
2,134 Posts
Guys, PLEASE stop saying how good Steve is-before you know it he will need a room next to the dyno for his head!!!!
J/K Love ya brutha!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have an exact amount on the costs, but Steve sold me most everything and I think it was around $6k (all polished).

It puts out 12 pounds of boost on the top end...got to get it rolling with 3.08 gears in the rear, so my 60 foot is around 1.47. The pulley is a big 5 inch to keep boost on the reasonable side. I use 93 pump gas and then add some Sunoco 110 when I am at the track and have some cash...just for safety sake on my old engine.
I have the DUI HEI distributor locked at 36 degrees and it retards itself to 33 degrees after 4K. It's the same all-in-one-simple ignition I had before except it isn't curved any longer.

Hope that answers some of the questions. Everybody says why don't you put on a smaller pulley or at least get aluminum heads and my reply is that it is plenty fast for a street car and it is very very consistent just like it is. Besides, who wants the additional hassle of running in the nines?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Thanks for the info, our setups are so close, Im running HEI and 3.08 gears too, 454HO and within a few pounds of each other, lots of similarities! Got any pictures you can show? Thanks

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words, Kyle and I try real hard at New Era. Things are super busy and are way behind right now, but that is a good problem to have I suppose.
Jake, I am trying to get you vid up this weekend yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I paid 60k Australian Dolars to New Era Racecraft for a 572 with a f3 out front and a strong t400. It was dynoed at 1500 before it came to me.The engine was leaking oil from rear of right head from startup and after only an hour of running it started blowing back through the radiator cap. Engine is pulled out and will have heads removed tomorrow.i have tried contacting Steve Morris but he wont respond by phone or email. A very disappointing experience :(

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Mick, I am sorry for any confusion, I have not been at New Era Racecraft since 9/1/10
Any emails sent to [email protected] go directly to Kyle they do not come to me.
Right on top of the New Era Racecraft site and my new site it states

""New Era Racecraft has grown and decided to split into 2 separate companies, Kyle Kirker will still own and operate NER. Steve Morris will own and operate Steve Morris Engines. NER and SME still work together on projects and new products but are separate entities""

You can contact me directly at 231-557-8262

I am more than happy to help you any way I can.

·
Registered
147 Posts
<Mick, I did respond to your Email. I sent it to Steve for his thoughts, he responded back. I then sent his email to you. If you did not recive it I am sorry, I only recived 1 email and thought you were looking in to it and would get back to me with your findings. Kyle

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Sounds like a case of the junk email folder grabbing something that isn't really junk. I once had to have Hagerty Insurance send an email 3 times before I actually got it. Computers really do frustrate me at times.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts