Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're having a nasty wind storm out here in California, and my Akorn went for a ride. I rolled it to my neighbors house yesterday, and I forgot to set the caster brake when I brought it back. It ended up rolling off the concrete and face planting which left the lid warped as shit.

This was my second Akorn, and it was close to rusting out after a year. Won't be going for round 3.

So, what's next? I really dig the Primo Oval XL, but I don't dig the price tag. Any other suggestions?

·
Trolling the Trolls
13,712 Posts
Akron with a cover so it doesn't rust out. Going on 4-5 years on mine. Water some how gets inside and turns the ash to concrete and while acidic everything rusts.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a cover for mine, but I'm horrible about using it. My first Akorn lasted 5-6 years, but the quality of the second one wasn't quite the same. I can't bring myself to buy another.

Since I'm so bad about using the cover, it's been rained on a few times. I ended up drilling a small hole in the bottom of it to let it drain

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about a Big Green Egg? I have a Xl and getting a mini max next.
I haven't looked any of the BGE's lately. When I was researching a while back, the Kamado Joe seemed like a better deal.

Primo appears to be the only one made stateside.

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
I have a cover for mine, but I'm horrible about using it. My first Akorn lasted 5-6 years, but the quality of the second one wasn't quite the same. I can't bring myself to buy another.

Since I'm so bad about using the cover, it's been rained on a few times. I ended up drilling a small hole in the bottom of it to let it drain
Do you have room anywhere to build a small covered area for it ( or the new one)to sit under?
I covered a 10x15 area of our deck with a simple pitched lean to roof using 4x4 as the supports, 2x4 as the roofing platform and covered it with tin panels......we keep our stuff covered that stays outdoors( the primo, the two traegers and the weber smokey mountains)....not only is the lean too good to keep the elements off the equipment but it also works great if I have to roll them back under that to finish cooking when it starts to rain.......plus it's great to sit under when it's raining.

Look on Craigslist or eBay for a used bge or primo.....lots of people bug them with good intentions and then sell them cheap when they figure out it won't make them like franklins BBQ.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good advice hound, thanks.

As for building a covered area, it's not really practical. Our weather out here is pretty good, and we typically don't have problems with rust. My 10 year old gasser has never seen a cover, and it's perfectly fine. The akorn is is just flimsy chinese garbage. It's too bad, because they're absolutely great grills before they fall apart.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I went to work on my Akorn with a dead blow hammer, I think i can get it to seal up relatively well. I guess being flimsy Chinese garbage makes it pliable.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Odd an Akorn would be shot after a couple years. After cooking I let mine cool down and roll it into the shop.

Unrelated: Been chasing the perfect pizza for years which requires high heat.
Put in two full chimneys of lump, and let it crank. Temp gauge was pinned and the paint changed color. Two minutes to cook a pizza though.;)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Odd an Akorn would be shot after a couple years. After cooking I let mine cool down and roll it into the shop.

Unrelated: Been chasing the perfect pizza for years which requires high heat.
Put in two full chimneys of lump, and let it crank. Temp gauge was pinned and the paint changed color. Two minutes to cook a pizza though.;)
There are some clear differences between my first and second akorn. I won't say there was a clear decline in quality, but they aren't the same.

on the pizza note, it's all about the dough. my local grocery stores makes pizza dough once a week I believe. It's like 2 bucks, and totally worth it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
We have four BGEs, which was pretty much the only game in town when we got them. If purchasing any additional ceramic cookers we will most probably go with Kamado Joe, as they seem to give BGE a good run for their money. Some buddies of mine have the Joes and after having cooked on them myself, they seem like a good way to go.

Also, any of the ceramic type cookers should stand up well to your aversion to covers, which can be a plus.

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
Aversion to covers, lol....

We rescued our primo out of my brother in laws back yard , thing had never seen a cover the 5 years he owned it....I replaced the gaskets on it , ran a load of charcoal through it at wfo to burn out the crud and it's never missed a beat in the 10 years we've had it.
I use it more as a grill and don't do many long cooks on it. It's cool to have , especially as a freebie...

·
Former RJ instigator
37,483 Posts
What about just a standard Weber kettle grill? :confused:

Maybe be all fancy and buy the one with the side table n shit. :cool:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about just a standard Weber kettle grill? :confused:

Maybe be all fancy and buy the one with the side table n shit. :cool:
I've considered it.

Weber also makes the Summit, which is a metal Kamado style grill. Horribly over-priced, but looks like a good piece.

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
I was just at my favorite BBQ store and I found what you’re looking for.

upload photo share
That Looks like the exact one we have.....minus the shiny and new and all the fancy chrome shit......for that price it better have all the accessories you can hang in or on it.

Same shape, same top , bottom draft control, , has primo stamped on it instead of the kj branding.... I like what I paid better.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm willing to spend more on a BBQ than most people, but that's a bit much I'd say.

·
Registered
914 Posts
That Looks like the exact one we have.....minus the shiny and new and all the fancy chrome shit......for that price it better have all the accessories you can hang in or on it.

Same shape, same top , bottom draft control, , has primo stamped on it instead of the kj branding.... I like what I paid better.
I kinda doubt yours is that big. The picture really doesn't do it justice on how huge it is. I have a large Green Egg and it dwarfs mine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts