Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably not the place but I thought I would share this with my LSx brothers. In 1986 a group of guys paid $1 for this 1927 ex Santa Fe steam locomotive. My dad became involved in 1989 and with a key group of people, his resources, and $1.3 million later it was restored to working order in 1991. Since then it has been used for trips, movies, etc... and this weekend its pulling a special train to San Diego, CA and back to Los Angeles, CA. Its pretty dorky but I dig horsepower and this baby is packing 5,000HP at the boiler and 3,200HP at the drawbars. Here are a couple of videos from various trips over the years. My favorite was the 1992 trip from LA to Chicago and back in 23 days. I was 14 and missed 2 weeks of school to go with my dad.

Billy, if you want to move this no worries but thought it would be something cool to share with you guys.

In this video I'm in the first diesel locomotive behind the steam engine and its tender. You can't see me but on this leg of the trip heading into Chicago I got to ride in the diesel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnr1960#p/u/2/ZRwQeBCfE0k

Other videos of 1992 trip at full speed...
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnr1960#p/u/4/AnkiPedl0jE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xhjlg9IyjA&feature=related

This one is classic. Look at the guys driving the other train on the platform as they sneak up behind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYcp_a0VkBA&feature=related

More recent of the last trip in 2008 to San Diego
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoGQn49Ku74&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpnEZ3RduA0&feature=related

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
I have no reason to move it. :D

Very cool man.

Now I know how you blow off steam.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
What's the top end of that thing? :) My Grandpa brought me down to Central Illinois when I was young, probably 8 or so, to watch the trains go blowing by at full speed. I remember that like yesterday. Eating PB&J's waiting for the next train to come ripping by.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the top end of that thing? :) My Grandpa brought me down to Central Illinois when I was young, probably 8 or so, to watch the trains go blowing by at full speed. I remember that like yesterday. Eating PB&J's waiting for the next train to come ripping by.
Clocked at 108mph in its heyday. Its speed restricted to 79MPH and will do every bit of that and more. On the trip to Chicago in 1992 we had it past 80MPH more than a few times. Its cool you remember the days watching trains with your grandfather. Were they steam or diesel? There is something cool hearing that steam engine work hard and thundering by at track speed.

·
Registered
645 Posts
That is VERY cool, I was always a rail fan growing up, unfortunately I'm young and it's all diesels. I live only a couple hours from the National Railroad Museum though, which has a bunch of cool steam engines.

·
Kelly's Nightmare
4,147 Posts
Thats awesome....

you have to see if you can take that thing by California speedway during a race weekend

·
Registered
19,910 Posts
thats really cool, the tech. back then just amazes me, how they did all that stuff with limited resources, compared to today
back in the fiftys we always went from DC to Iowa on the train to visit my aunt, always remembered the pancakes in the diner car, just something special about them
i can spend hours in the museums in DC, looking at all the mech. stuff from way back when
i remember my father taking me to Union Station in DC, a train lost its brakes, crashed into the station, a car landed on floor down, i remember looking thru the hole in the floor, pretty wild
my last trip in a train was on the auto train, Va to Florida-pretty cool
stuff was made in the US, and is still working today, just ck out all the farm machinery

·
Registered
49,435 Posts
Very awesome man. Very very cool.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How'd you handle logistics on the trip to Chicago and back? Those steam engines are thirsty, and there aren't water towers all over like there used to be... :)
Great question Paul. The coordination on that trip was incredible and they are very thirsty. We would stop every 150-200 miles to take on water and local fire departments volunteered their fire trucks to fill the water tender. We stopped in so many small towns across the Heartland and these guys were stoked to be part of history. It was the first time in 40 years that a steam engine traveled on Santa Fe's TRANSCON which is the mainline from LA to Chicago.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats awesome....

you have to see if you can take that thing by California speedway during a race weekend
Funny you say that Alex because the tracks right next to the dragstrip are where we did the initial testing of the steam engine. The engine was restored in an old part of the Kaiser steel mill which was eventually torn down to make way for California Speedway. I remember as a kid going there and my dad working for hours on Saturdays to get that thing restored. When it finally steamed up and ran on those tracks it was quite a feeling.

Glad you guys enjoyed looking at it and now I'm off to go play trains. See ya!

·
photobomber
2,512 Posts
Great question Paul. The coordination on that trip was incredible and they are very thirsty. We would stop every 150-200 miles to take on water and local fire departments volunteered their fire trucks to fill the water tender. We stopped in so many small towns across the Heartland and these guys were stoked to be part of history. It was the first time in 40 years that a steam engine traveled on Santa Fe's TRANSCON which is the mainline from LA to Chicago.

Wow, that's cool... pumpers are the perfect solution, come to think of it, and I'm having a hard time trying to imagine anything I would have liked to see more as a kid than a fire truck topping off a steam locomotive :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cool!! We just had a steam engine around our area that UP brought. How come it was it was carrying those two big Dash 9 locomotives? Were they being used as power also?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts