Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am frying some electronic items on my car since i switched to a 16 volt battery setup. running 2 turbo start 16 volt batteries and 1st my moroso accumulator solenoid fried, then interior light bulbs and 2 gauge lights and now my moroso electric water pump.
what else is going to fry and do i need to put a step down on everything but the starter?:confused:

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I ran a single 16 volt battery for years without any problems. Last year I needed some ballast so I added a second 16 volt battery. I couldn't keep headlights in my car once I added the second battery. I never did understand why (2) 16 volt batteries started cooking things and (1) battery everything was fine.

·
Tellin' it like it is
9,748 Posts
For the bulbs, you could probably go to LED bulbs to get them to live. As for the pump, switch to a top shelf deal like a CSR and you'll be fine there.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
What kind of voltage is the alternator putting out?

·
50Sick
2,999 Posts
Something isn't right . I run two 16 volts with an alternator putting out 18-18.3 and have had zero problem. We do step down the voltage on the electric shocks however everything else works well. I know everyone complains of the brightness on the headlights but everything else has been good.

·
Registered
940 Posts
do not know the answer to your question, but i was wondering if depending on how they are wired could the voltage double if they are in series like a golfcart does? kicking them up to 32?

·
Tellin' it like it is
9,748 Posts
Yes, if you wired them in series the output would be 32V. They should be wired in parallel.

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
do not know the answer to your question, but i was wondering if depending on how they are wired could the voltage double if they are in series like a golfcart does? kicking them up to 32?
yup. That is the 1st thing I thought of. But I am assuming he at least he had a voltmeter to check the voltage.
This is what we need to know....what is the voltage reading. The 1st & most simple step.

·
Registered
20,012 Posts
A 12 volt system charging system in most cars will generally produce a voltage between 13.5 and 14.4 volts while the engine is running. It has to generate more voltage than the battery's rated voltage to overcome the internal resistance of the battery.Putting a alternator on a 16 volt system should produce close to 19 volts.I find that using a 12 volt system with an alternator in race cars works excellent while avoiding without the problems created by a 16 volt system.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I run duel 16volt batteries and alternator. I have had zero issues . I use the spaghetti menders system in my car.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes i got the batteries parallel. positive to positive, negative to negative.
i use 2 tubo start LIGHT WEIGHT BATTERIES because 1 liteweight 16 volt cant hold a charge going rounds so i added another battery. The electric water pump was a moroso that bolts to the stock water pump housing.
just went with a meziere same style. hope this one lasts.

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
Yes i got the batteries parallel. positive to positive, negative to negative.
i use 2 tubo start LIGHT WEIGHT BATTERIES because 1 liteweight 16 volt cant hold a charge going rounds so i added another battery. The electric water pump was a moroso that bolts to the stock water pump housing.
just went with a meziere same style. hope this one lasts.
Unless your needing extra Voltage to maximize a fuel pump i would use 12v battery with an alternator. Not sure why you would need two 16s with an alternator:confused: The newer alternators like fords 3G etc are rated 14.4 volts. I use one 16V battery in my race car with an alternator set to 18 volts. My adjustable regulator should be set at 18.8 volts but i don't do it because of ECU. When i go to a belt drive fuel pump i will put 12 volt back in. You can buy a 12v step down to run your lights or that twin post 12v/16v battery.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts