Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
I still run the discontinued Vibrant Aluminum Race mufflers . 5" down pipe from turbo split into two 4" at the trans cross member . Through 4 Vibrant mufflers then all the way out passed the rear axle . All aluminum .

Everywhere I go , people say they love the sound . It will rumble the windows in the house , but its not too loud .

I think the aluminum actually sounds different . In a good way . :cool:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I have the Stainless Steel AP Xlerators 3.00 in. in and out on my truck. I think out of the more modern mufflers they sound as good as any. Pretty nice low tone at low or partial throttle and decent up high. No drone I can hear either. Not much of a restriction I'm gonna say after looking through them. There are several videos on YouTube to get a very rough idea of what they may sound like on your ride.

I totally agree on wanting the old school sound. I use to use the old Thrush Turbo mufflers and could get many years out of them. But with the big block I wanted the 3" in /out and the Thrush only went to a 2.5".

That raspy sound that is I presume so popular I cant stand. Never did like the drone or sound associated with many of the Flow Masters. So far I am quite happy with the Xlerators.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I really like the borla proXS units. They have a nice sound, not obnoxious volume, no drone, stainless steel, straight through, and only $95 for a 3" unit. The XR1s are currently on my fastback and people love the sound but it will make your ears hurt... I had dynomax straight through mufflers on my fox but it took all of the cam chop out at idle and smoothed the sound

Borla proXS idle

Borla proXS WOT (with high flow cats)

Borla XR1 WOT

Damn! That 69 really moves out on the street. Triple digits come up pretty quick 🤓

·
Registered
241 Posts
Damn! That 69 really moves out on the street. Triple digits come up pretty quick
Yeah, should be good for low 11s. One day I'll get it out to the strip once I get the carb idling properly and swap the weak 8" rear out...

Reactions: 81camaro468

·
Registered
553 Posts
Different people like different sounds as others have said.

I think the engine type, small block Chevy, Ford, Mopar or big block Chevy, Ford, Mopar all sound different with the same mufflers. Same thing with camshaft and compression to a degree all sound different with the same mufflers.

A hot small block Chevy sounds different than a hot small block Ford running the same exhaust to my ears.

I ran the 3" DynoMax welded Ultra Flows on my old big block Mopar. Sounded strong at idle and slow cruise, opened up nice at full throttle. I bought the same exact mufflers and ran them on my old sbc... they sounded good, but not as loud at full throttle compared to the big block Mopar.

·
Registered
16,293 Posts
Stay away from the ultraflows. They thinned the case walls our a few years back and it completely changed the tone. As well, the internal perforated tube is made from mild steel, and will rust out in a few years. The guts will start to exit the body and the tube will roll around internally. Sad, they were my favourite sounding muffler. The Pypes brand mufflers really do have a nice tone. The race pro's are actually quieter then the street pros, although thats not the way you would think it would be.
Flowmasters = drone, but some of the delta series mufflers do a good job of controlling that. Just not the most efficient of mufflers performance wise

·
Registered
84 Posts
I went from a too quiet to a too loud muffler on my 1969 442. Went from not hearing it to that crappy raspy sound when I get on it. Sounds okay at idle and down low, but really sounds like crap having running it through the gears. I would like it to sound like a muscle car.

Any suggestions?
Dual resonators with no muffler.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
I put Hooker Aero Chambers on my street car. Sounds pretty good and no raspy shit either.

Reactions: tex013

·
Registered
26 Posts
A few years back I knocked my flowmasters off with my driveshaft. At the request of my exhaust guy, I used magnaflows when putting the new exhaust on. I like the sound SO much better now.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the flowmasters but somehow ended up with a set of the 50 Series Delta Flow and they actually sound really good on my small block in my nova. Theres no drone and has a really deep rumble. It doesnt have that flowmaster tin can sound either. I was surprised. I hated the Dynomax Ultra Flow Welded I had on the car. They sounded TERRIBLE!

·
Registered
16,437 Posts
My vote is the Borla proXS units. Very quiet on my turbo car and the SS construction means they will last. I've run 8.23 at 168 with them.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Magna flow has a resonated x pipe that I've heard solves a lot of the rasp issues. Then you can put whatever mufflers you want after that to your taste.

No experience with it on a v8, but on my v6 twin turbo it gave it a deep tone and took away the harshness

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
I used to have Slowmaster Stupid 40's on my other street car in the mid 2000's. They sucked big time, super drone in the car.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Stay away from the ultraflows. They thinned the case walls our a few years back and it completely changed the tone. As well, the internal perforated tube is made from mild steel, and will rust out in a few years. The guts will start to exit the body and the tube will roll around internally. Sad, they were my favourite sounding muffler.
Good to know... thanks.

It's been over 10 years since I used them. Back then I talked with a few of the F.A.S.T class guys on what they were running. Almost all of them were using them, so I decided to use them. I figured they were the guys to ask about making power using mufflers, and I loved how they sounded.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
9,235 Posts
Another thing to consider is an x pipe vs. an h pipe. The h pipe will usually give a deeper muscle car sound vs. the x pipes raspy wanna be exotic sound

·
Registered
13,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Will adding an H pipe quiet down higher rpm rasp? That would be an easy add on.

·
Registered
16,293 Posts
Will adding an H pipe quiet down higher rpm rasp? That would be an easy add on.
Sometimes. There are so many engine combo variables that can effect tone. The H is a good tool, but sometimes it takes a set of small resonators to get rid of the wot glass pack like crackle.

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
4 inch Borla XR-1 Sportsman series on mine and I like them a lot.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts