Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went from a too quiet to a too loud muffler on my 1969 442. Went from not hearing it to that crappy raspy sound when I get on it. Sounds okay at idle and down low, but really sounds like crap having running it through the gears. I would like it to sound like a muscle car.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
16,242 Posts
Thats a purely subjective question Mark. What some people love, others think sounds like ass.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a purely subjective question Mark. What some people love, others think sounds like ass.
You're exactly right. It really is.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What muffler did you find too quiet? I'm looking for something quiet for my wife's 70 2wd Blazer, with a 6.2 / 6 spd auto.
I honestly don't remember. Its been too loud for 8 years. :) It doesn't get out much. I didn't even drive it in 2019. (Never put the 2019 sticker on the plate/tag)

Reactions: wesmigletz

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
FWIW I had the Pypes Street Pros on my 68 442 and I thought it sounded like shit in a tin can.

·
Registered
16,242 Posts
You're exactly right. It really is.
As an exhaust fab guy this really is the first question I ask. Then its on to educating people about brands, diameters, types, compression, camshafts etc.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
78,891 Posts
I HAVE THRUSH STRAIGHT THROUGHS BEFORE MY FLOWMASTERS...3 INCH ON BOTH SIDES...SOUNDS LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO

·
Registered
67,948 Posts
Back in the day ...... Sonic Turbo's

Dynomax Super Turbo's for the win!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Subjective...totally! But IMHO...
I like old Turbo mufflers...but they always died after a year or less. Sounded GREAT...just self destroyed.
I hated my Flow Disasters. Terrible drone and noisy at WOT. All of them. Got a noise ticket idling ...WTF.
But the AP Xlerator...for $50/pc...the big ones with the straight tube...quiet but when you hit it...can be a bit excessive with a blown engine but sound great. Nice, muscle car sound. And, they made 850+ WHP with full exhaust...and they still look like new, 10 years later. Seem to be a copy of the Magnaflows.
I’d go listen to card, find out what the one you like the sound of has on it and go with that. Otherwise...total crap-shoot.
I got lucky...was just looking for something to withstand a big block with boost lol and the xlerators worked.
Cheap, too!

·
Registered
16,242 Posts
Subjective...totally! But IMHO...
I like old Turbo mufflers...but they always died after a year or less. Sounded GREAT...just self destroyed.
I hated my Flow Disasters. Terrible drone and noisy at WOT. All of them. Got a noise ticket idling ...WTF.
But the AP Xlerator...for $50/pc...the big ones with the straight tube...quiet but when you hit it...can be a bit excessive with a blown engine but sound great. Nice, muscle car sound. And, they made 850+ WHP with full exhaust...and they still look like new, 10 years later. Seem to be a copy of the Magnaflows.
I’d go listen to card, find out what the one you like the sound of has on it and go with that. Otherwise...total crap-shoot.
I got lucky...was just looking for something to withstand a big block with boost lol and the xlerators worked.
Cheap, too!
I sell zero magnaflows. These mufflers are a direct copy, and are actually better made. The magnaflow internal flow tube is paper thin, and when they put the bends in them, will have some wrinkling. The Xlerator's have a thicker tube with zero wrinkling. I've used hundreds of these, in all their variations, and have not had a single bad experience. Less than half the cost of a legit magnaflow.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I’ve had great luck with knock off flowmasters for some but I’ve installed to Pypes kits and really like there sound not aggressive

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Worst thing about turbo mufflers is the seam was alway on the bottom on one of them on my car. It was constantly rusting out. I got one of those flowmaster kits for my Z and while it fit good, and sounds ok, I like to have turbos on it. Think it was Sonic Turbos that I liked, thought they were Dynomax.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I really like the borla proXS units. They have a nice sound, not obnoxious volume, no drone, stainless steel, straight through, and only $95 for a 3" unit. The XR1s are currently on my fastback and people love the sound but it will make your ears hurt... I had dynomax straight through mufflers on my fox but it took all of the cam chop out at idle and smoothed the sound

Borla proXS idle

Borla proXS WOT (with high flow cats)

Borla XR1 WOT

Reactions: BLUEOVALRACER
1 - 20 of 42 Posts