Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there is a way to fix a muncie 4 speed that is leaking out the front of the case where the main shaft sticks out. Will I end up buying a new case?

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Anyone know if there is a way to fix a muncie 4 speed that is leaking out the front of the case where the main shaft sticks out. Will I end up buying a new case?

Is it leaking from the gasket area under the front bearing retainer, or is it actually visibly leaking from an area in the case?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not from a gasket, it leaks where the main shaft fits through the case. If you look at the trans below the front bearing retainer there is a hole that the shaft sits in,on the case,thats where it leaks

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
i used sylicon on mine and it stopped (cleaned it with carb cleaner first) then smeared it over the end and let it dry before reinstalling trans

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the cluster shaft slides into the hole in the case Yes. Having a hard time explaning this.

·
Confused Racer
42,173 Posts
The main shaft is the one the clutch goes on the one below it is the cluster. if its the cluster there rteally is no way you can fix it without pulling it apart. like someone else said just wipe it with thinner and smear some ultra black silicone on it. other than that the trans would have to be completely dissasembled.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the cluster.Thanks for the correction. If the trans is pulled apart is there a seal on the shaft or is it a press fit deal.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
With the shaft out you can use a center punch and tap around the outside of the hole on the case and basically glue it back in. What your doing is actually making the hole smaller and then the pin will fit tight when put back in.

·
Super Moderator
19,777 Posts
If its leaking the case is getting worn out (they oval there badly). If you have a good guy local to you and can take it apart get the case bored and sleeved so you have the correct press fit with the countershaft then its over and fixed right..
If your looking for a cheap fix I have seen many attempts at this with silicone , snot, JB weld , beat and peening and really its all a bandaid and will just come back to get you eventually.
Oversize parts (shafts) I have not seen because the shaft needs to go through the Countershaft from the back and there's a step in the back of the shaft so you can't make the front bigger cause you can't get it through the needle bearings.

The cheeziest I ever got was to bore an internal O ring groove into a slightly worn bore of the case then when I slid the C/S through it supported and sealed it.

Hutch

·
wife/gf thread MOD
2,715 Posts
good info. mine is doing the same thing. i tried the jb weld trick but its still leaking. slower but still leaking

·
Registered
893 Posts
Unfortunately......if it is the countershaft bore in the case, you need a new case. Auto Gear makes a replacement case with a welch plug provision and they also offer the required shorter countershaft. If the input shaft is the source of the leak, well there is no seal. The bearing retainer nut and the release bearing collar are a mechanical seal,(metal on metal), they both require replacement at the same time due to galling. Also, while the box is apart, replace the aluminum mid plate with a cast iron plate. This will stop the hammering effect and subsequent wear that the countershaft/case has to endure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts