Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of designing the downpipe for my car.

Things are getting tight and I would like to weld the V band flange to a 5 in muffler then clamp to the turbo and run the alum down pipe off the muffler. The exhaust has to exit on the pass side. There are all kinds of pipes on that side already so space is at a premium, especially when trying to keep most of the inner fender.

Any performance disadvantages? Too much turbulence ? It could help with an aluminum down pipe in taking some of the big temps before exiting into the aluminum?

The muffler im refering to is a 5 x 5 stainless like the Vibrant or similar. Must stay under 5.75 diameter.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:confused: I guess no one has tried this before. Ill be the first then.

Question 2,
Who has 5x5 in mufflers is stock, Vibrant, V & P or similar. A price would be awesome too.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
Louie we have had mufflers on all of our turbo cars with no issues. Never directly on the turbo though. I wonder if it would burn out the packing?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joe, Thanks for the reply. I didnt think about the packing.

But i guess there is not much packing of these things anyways. Its just there to make people feel warm and fuzzy that we have mufflers. Im was concerned with any turbulence issues with the perforrated core or anything like that.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I thought of the same thing. My issue was if some of the packing were to come out and contaminate the O2 sensor. I put the muffler after the O2 because of this reason.

·
Registered
936 Posts
This is a 70's Nova that ran in Montgomery, AL. It ran good and seemed really quite. The car is flat black with real flames painted just behind the front wheels in case someone knows who owns it. It was strange because it was the first car I ever saw with a 98 and 101 on it and the muffler mounted straight to the turbo. Not sure if the pic will help but here it is.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was going to dump it out of the fenderwell just under the Grand Nationals badge. Unfortunately I used that entire area to run intercooler pipes. So The exhaust will go back between the header and inner fender, past the mid plate and into the ground. Still I may not have space to put the muffler anywhere else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts