Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing suspension today and got looking at exhaust and muffler. Running 3" headers down to 2" exhaust and what to up grade to 3".
Right now have flowmaster on but don't know the series. Don't have to stick with them, but would like a deep rumble sound.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I've always ran Flowmaster Super 40's. Last year, a baffle came loose. I decided to run open headers for a few weekends to see what they were costing me on ET (every weekend point racer street car). I picked up, on average, .06/.07 in the 1/8. I was like you, and liked the rumble that only a chambered muffler can give, but didn't want to give that time back up. I looked at the Borlas, the Dynomax, and the areochmbers. Almost pulled the trigger, until I read about the new Flowmaster Super 10's. Single chambered, about a 1/3 the length of the Super 40's. I figured what the hell, why not give it a try. Ordered them and put them on. The next weekend (and ever since), the car runs just as fast as open headers, and even pulled my fastest .60's (and ET's) ever after the change. They sound just like Super 40's on the outside, and (even though they say that they don't) they are slightly less loud inside the car.

I love them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I went with the Flowmaster Super 10s. My car is street/strip and thought it's about time is sounds like it.

Setting up will be: Collector extension 3"x18" to muffler, 45* elbow and run tubing to just in front of the rear tires flush with the body. I was going to weld everything, but for now just going to clamp it together and see how I like it. One of my buddies is running this set up on his '70 396 stroker Chevelle and it sounds good.

If I don't I'll go with a 2 or 3 chamber muffler and add exhaust cutouts for race days.

Thank you for your input and I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New mufflers are on and the car sounds great.

The ideal jumped up 1K RPMs and now the car is running hot. I think I need to adjust the timing for the new set up.

Love the sounds and the car looks great.

·
Butch
8,209 Posts
to me these are the best muffler, picked up almost 2 tenths switching from flowmaster
X2, I had them on the car when it had 2.5" and when I went 3" I almost went Flowmaster but couldn't do it. They were on our street 327 small block

Few videos

Track video, exhaust out the back, 4000+ race weight, street 327 (12.32)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts