Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
X2 on balance, we had a set that had a bad vibration and then balanced and it stopped..

·
Registered
941 Posts
when you put the wheels on, do you try to put the valve stems in line with each other? if so rotate one wheel 1/4 turn. I read this in Race Pages from a chassis guy. He said that this will sometimes case a vibration issue.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Been doing this shit for over 30 years and NEVER bought a set of slicks that we didn't have balanced.

As a matter of fact, you can't buy a set of slicks at a NHRA or IHRA event that you have mounted that are not balanced by the manufacturer.

You probably have been getting away with it until now because you only run 1/8 mile.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The only tires I have ever had balance issues with were MT. The worst set would hook like they should then at the top end vibrate and start the car to a right drift (manageable) but then move violently to the left. Not fun on a narrow track.

That car now has hoosiers on it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
We never did either but had a set and I told Jody this thing has a bad vibration on the top end. talked to Tom with M/T and he said they needed balancing, we took them off and he balanced them put back on the car and the vibration was gone.. 1/8 mile is all we run.. its worth a try.. we had a bad set before too!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
ive never balanced a set never had this problem double bead locked changed them at the track but i will give it a try.
does the vibration go out when u pick up speed. sometime's with a tire that is out of balance it will become smooth at speeds, either way its cheap to find out if that is the problem:yawinkle:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Wow, I've never run slicks before, But I was thinking about moving to them next spring. There are a couple guys at work that race, one has a BBC dragster, other has a coupe like mine, and they both told me NOT to balance slicks!!? I guess I learned something important today lol

They told me the reason was the tire is going to slip on the rim, so after the first few runs the tire will be out of balance again, unless I use rim screws.

What is up with these balance beads Mr Chev mentioned?

·
Confused Racer
40,826 Posts
i never balanced slick on any of my stuff either. the dart has MT tt5's, the altered has goodyear 1490's.

·
aka hulk
4,965 Posts
i had the same problem,...never balanced them,...then one time...vibrated like a mo-fo!!,now i balance no probs!!!!..mt-28x10.5-stiffwall.fwiw....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts