Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of these MT 26 x 4.5 x 15LT on my '67 Nova. Car weights in at 2800lbs. There about 1/2 worn and this was the second summer on them, BUT did sit most of this summer with other car issues.

NOW there is an eggs-size bulge in the outer tread, not sidewall. Car was fine about 11 days ago, now there is a vibration in the front and noticed the bulge?

Now looking at replacing for next summer. Few questions. Might go with the radial this time and it has a H speed rating, what are these bias rated to? Just see "suitable for drag racing" on the site? So should I go 4 ply or 8 ply if sticking with biased?

Thanks, John

·
Registered
16,347 Posts
I wouldn't worry about speed ratings, they are only important for cars that will run at high speeds for an extended amount of time. Just pay attention to the load rating and if your worried about every single hundredth of a second, weight.

Here's what I run on my car that weighs 3550lbs with 52% on the front.

https://simpletire.com/nexen-165-80r15-11766nxk-tires

I've had 3 pairs on the car during the last 10 years and they are a very tough tire with a load rating of 1201 lbs. Amazon sells the same tire for $50, that's where I bought my last pair last year. That pair has already gone 15,000 miles, 100 trips down the strip at over 150 mph and look damn good still.

·
Registered
16,091 Posts
I wouldn't worry about speed ratings, they are only important for cars that will run at high speeds for an extended amount of time. Just pay attention to the load rating and if your worried about every single hundredth of a second, weight.

Here's what I run on my car that weighs 3550lbs with 52% on the front.

https://simpletire.com/nexen-165-80r15-11766nxk-tires

I've had 3 pairs on the car during the last 10 years and they are a very tough tire with a load rating of 1201 lbs. Amazon sells the same tire for $50, that's where I bought my last pair last year. That pair has already gone 15,000 miles, 100 trips down the strip at over 150 mph and look damn good still.
I run the same tire, with the same results. 3400# car. 52% up front. 4 summers on our shitty Canadian roads, and plenty of 140-150 mph passes. Won't hesitate to buy another set.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Will look into those Nexen tires. Nice to have a respectable tire. 2 of these for the cost of 1 MT fronts.

Thanks, John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts