Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have MT 29.5 x 10.5stiff slicks on 15 x 10 rims. I want to buy some new rims, car is a mini tubbed '65 Buick Skylark. Anyone out there running these 10.5s' on a 15 x12 rim what is the max. section width on this rim?? Right now I have cragar superlites 15 x 10 with a 6 1/2 bs, with these I have about an inch between the frame and the inner slick sidewall, but can't get a finger tip between the outer sidewall and the quarter panel... From measuring, it looks like a 15 x 10 with a 7 in. bs would make it alot better. I'm thinking about Champion wheels, I could get the size I need, if the 15 x 12s' section width would work, I think I'd need a 9 1/2 or 3/4 bs, I think....
Thanks for the help.
Gary G.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
You need to re-think your back spacing. Those numbers don't add up. I think you'd need more like a 7" bs. Add 1" to each side of the rim, then you probably need to move the wheel in 1/2" min. The 12 " rim will increase the section width about 1-1/2". It ain't gonna fit though it sounds like.....

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have MT 29.5 x 10.5stiff slicks on 15 x 10 rims. I want to buy some new rims, car is a mini tubbed '65 Buick Skylark. Anyone out there running these 10.5s' on a 15 x12 rim what is the max. section width on this rim?? Right now I have cragar superlites 15 x 10 with a 6 1/2 bs, with these I have about an inch between the frame and the inner slick sidewall, but can't get a finger tip between the outer sidewall and the quarter panel... From measuring, it looks like a 15 x 10 with a 7 in. bs would make it alot better. I'm thinking about Champion wheels, I could get the size I need, if the 15 x 12s' section width would work, I think I'd need a 9 1/2 or 3/4 bs, I think....
Thanks for the help.
Gary G.

Gary, give Doug @ Bogart Racing Wheels a call. Not sure if you remember him or not but he used to hangout with us and moved with them when they went from Santee to AZ. He is repairing my wheels for me. I'm sure he will remember you and be able to help when you call. ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'll give Bogart a call, and do so more research to see who can give me what I need. I wanted to do the Champion Cap5's, but with a 7 in. backspace the rim barrel will not clear my brake calipers. Kinda pissed about that....What screws my car up is that I have a 68-72 rear, and a mini tubbed notched frame, and that just kills all my rim backspace options. So I could leave what I have on, and be happy, see if I can find another custom wheel maker, or pull the rear end and get it narrowed by like 1 inch, down to the size rear that is for a 64-65 GM A body.... I'll call Bogart, I've had their front runners on my car for about 10 years, plus I'll look in the National Dragster and see if I can find someone else.. Custom rims means about twice the price I wanted to spend compared to the Champions.
I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the input.

Gary G.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Currie 9 in. rear in the car, so I gave them a call, they said $350 to narrow it down, 1 inch per side, 2 in. total, I couldn't go narrower and keep the stock rear suspension, about 4 months ago I re-did the rear suspension with an anti roll bar set up, and dbl. adj. control arms, spent $1100.... And even if I did have them hack off the 2 in. total, it would still limit my rim choices, I could then run a weld 15 x 10 w/ 6 in. bs, but they cost $435 a rim, so I'd end up spending about $1200 total..... I'll be happy with what I have.
Gary G.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts