Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the General concensus between running the new MSD pro 600 cdi over the tries and tried Holley smart coils?
My street car will make in the neighborhood of 23-2700hp. It’s a 427 LSX Twin Garrett 88s from Forced inductions setup for dual fuel systems. E85 on the street and M1 at the track depending on boost/power levels.
Right now I don’t have either of the two, so I’m literally starting from a fresh slate.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was smart coils and with twin 88mm turbos and 60psi boost i was running 233mph 1/4 mile.
Then i was swap to FT-Spark8 cdi coils and now with same boost car runs 249mph.
CDI makes way more energy to burn fuel.
I know Tom Bailey dragweek car runs now with msd pro 600 and now he don´t have anymore missfire problems. Same with Steve Fast radial car. Makes good power and speed.
If you are running with high boost and methanol fuel cdi is best to use.

Andres

·
Registered
168 Posts
all depends on what ecu you are driving the smart coils with.. some just cannot do it properly, i know one tuner that did a back to back on a 4000HP car with a haltech and zero difference between the MSD and the coils...
With high boost you see that! High horsepower cars needs CDI coils.
With smart coil you need to lean fuel out to get it work.
I have one good question, why hemis runs with mag? To get more enegry burn fuel. Now many fast cars are changed magnetos to cdi coils and makes even better results with that.
You can´t see any smart coil 5000+whp engines :)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
But in his case of 2500 hp ish, it should work fine on smart coils. My buddys 5.4 mod motor has been 4.29 at 165ish on methonal. Lot of cyl pressure on those small cubes

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to be completely fair, I did end up going with the MSD pro 600, reasoning for this is because I do plan on making more power in the near future with a Noonan billet block (3-4000hp). so I guess you can just say I was thinking ahead as I didn't have either one of the coils mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
With high boost you see that! High horsepower cars needs CDI coils.
With smart coil you need to lean fuel out to get it work.
I have one good question, why hemis runs with mag? To get more enegry burn fuel. Now many fast cars are changed magnetos to cdi coils and makes even better results with that.
You can´t see any smart coil 5000+whp engines :)
so [email protected]+ isn't enough for you? lol take the glasses off and realise not all ecus are made the same, not all wiring harnesses are made the same, just because your ecu and wiring harness could get the job done does not mean that others cannot,

·
Registered
904 Posts
Is it fair to say that if you run Holley or Fuel tech you need to go CDI at a certain point, if you run Haltech, Motec or Comsync you don't need to?

·
Registered
168 Posts
so [email protected]+ isn't enough for you? lol take the glasses off and realise not all ecus are made the same, not all wiring harnesses are made the same, just because your ecu and wiring harness could get the job done does not mean that others cannot,
We are talking about smart coils vs cdi system not ecu-s! We are talking max 100mj vs 600mj energy!
I was Haltech 2500 Elite in my car 2016 and then it was junk. Maybe now works better...
Yes, you can run 260mph with smart coil, but then you need lean out fuel to get it work.
All what i talk is my own experience not someone else/internet pullshit you see.

Andres

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
We are talking about smart coils vs cdi system not ecu-s! We are talking max 100mj vs 600mj energy!
I was Haltech 2500 Elite in my car 2016 and then it was junk. Maybe now works better...
Yes, you can run 260mph with smart coil, but then you need lean out fuel to get it work.
All what i talk is my own experience not someone else/internet pullshit you see.

Andres
you dont have to lean out fuel to get it to work, well maybe you do with a ecu that cannot drive it properly, I make 4000hp on a conventional BBC with afr in the 2.7 range and 70psi boost with no misfire, but I suppose you read on the internet that I would need to put a CDI on there.. carl stevens went 230 to half with IGN1a coils.. you need to look at whats driving the coils to see where the misfire and lack of energy comes from. its not the coils I can tell you that much...

·
Registered
168 Posts
the ecu has to charge them correctly and they need to be wired correctly to work at high power, right ecu and right wiring 4000+ hp is no problems.
If you want peoples waste them time, then you can talk that...
We tryed that and I KNOW it´s not work good. With CDI was way better and car makes better power now.

Andres

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I'm not trying to be a smartass buti don't see how an ECU can't drive them properly?

It is a simple square wave logic

When the coil sees the rising edge of the 5v being applied on the control line it starts charging

When the coil sees the removal of the 5v and that falling edge... It fires

If the ECU was messing up the falling edge it would likely be catastrophic as ignition timing would be nothing like commanded

Or are you suggesting the "bad" ECUs are messing up the rising edge... Say the rising edge late..... Reducing the dwell time from commanded?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts