Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help. I have n MSD pro-billet on a 408 SBC with a 6AL box. I just locked the distributor out and am now having a weird problem. At idle (1500 RPM) the timing is reading about 44 degrees advanced, which is too high, my combo likes 34-35. When I bring it up to 3000 RPM it goes to 34 and stays there. It was not doing this when it had the curve kit in it.

It is a solid roller and has a cam button, and I am pretty sure the cam is not walking as it is fairly new, maybe 20 passes, and it was not doing this until after I locked out the distributor.

Please help.
Thanks in advance.

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
I just did this on 3 MSD dist. and all worked great. Did you remove the weights and springs completely? Do you have any other timing controllers on the car?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weights and springs are all gone completely. No other timing controllers. Someone mentioned the cam could be walking, but I have a cam button installed, metal not nylon, as well as an aftermarket timing cover, it's just weird that it is higher at idle (44) and then drops to 34 when the rpm is increased. This is opposite of what I have ever dealt with on engines with curve kits.

BTW I have some family from Spotsy.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
It could just be the mutli spark at low rpm looking like more timing.

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
Did you turn it the 180* after removing the springs and weights? The gear must be removed to do this. Otherwise it's just going to float in the bigger hole were the bushing is.

Where in spotsy?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you turn it the 180* after removing the springs and weights? The gear must be removed to do this. Otherwise it's just going to float in the bigger hole were the bushing is.

Where in spotsy?
Done. Everything removed and rotated 180*. Same thing. I am getting ready to go to shop to check to see if the cam is walking. I am pulling the distributor and use a screwdriver to see if the cam moves back and forth. I will update later tonight.

They live right off of number 1 close to the Caroline line. I also have some not too far from the courthouse. I had some cousins go to Spotsylvania High. PM me and I will tell you their names, you may know them.

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
Any play in the shaft?

I doubt I know them, I've only lived here for about a year. I live near the Orange and Spotsy line.

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
It could just be the mutli spark at low rpm looking like more timing.

I'm interested in some more info on this if you don't mind, I just may learn something!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. I pulled the distributor tonight. Has a little bit of play in the shaft, maybe .010 up and down, which I don't think is enough to matter too much. Double checked everything again. Gear looked fine. The only thing I noticed was I was missing the washer for the locknut, so I installed a new one. I also checked the distance from the oil pump shaft to the intake and from the collar of the distributor to the tip of the shaft and all of that is within clearance. I reinstalled the distributor and fired it up. The timing was creeping up a bit, but not as much as before. At idle before it was going as high as 46* and then when I brought the rpms up it would drop to 34*. Now it is idling about 37* and drops to 34* and stays there even at high rpm.

I also tried putting a pry bar between the water pump and timing cover and noticed no difference. Anyway I set the timing at 34* at about 3000 rpm and so far it will not drop below that and only goes as high as about 37* at idle. I think someone told me that even thoug it is locked it may move 2-3* from idle to wot.

I still want to try a different light to see if maybe something is wrong with mine.

Does anybody know for sure about it dropping 2-3* if that is acceptable? I am just curious?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One other thing I noticed during all this was that occasionally it will skip a beat. At first I thought it may be in the timing light, but after listening to it a couple of times I realized it did have a little bit of a mis, and you could see it in the light. When I had the distributor apart I noticed the magnetic pickup had some rust on it, I guess from condensation and such. Does anyone know if this may cause the occasional skip, and if so is there a way to clean it?

·
Registered
288 Posts
One other thing I noticed during all this was that occasionally it will skip a beat. At first I thought it may be in the timing light, but after listening to it a couple of times I realized it did have a little bit of a mis, and you could see it in the light. When I had the distributor apart I noticed the magnetic pickup had some rust on it, I guess from condensation and such. Does anyone know if this may cause the occasional skip, and if so is there a way to clean it?
This may be a far stretch, but maybe it has somethng to do with your timing chain/Gears/belt? I do know that before we went to a crank trigger, our timing would also jump a few degrees, but never did it go to really high and lower at a higher RPM.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This may be a far stretch, but maybe it has somethng to do with your timing chain/Gears/belt? I do know that before we went to a crank trigger, our timing would also jump a few degrees, but never did it go to really high and lower at a higher RPM.

I am thinking this is what is going on. Plans are to pull the motor this weekend and see what I find.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It has been touched on but are you sure it's not the timing light?

I was using a digital snap on ($$$) and every time I checked timing

it was different.

After trying everything,dug out my old school light, stored in the same box with the dwell meter, and the timing was steady and dead nuts on.

Some lights don't like "multiple" sparks.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It has been touched on but are you sure it's not the timing light?

I was using a digital snap on ($$$) and every time I checked timing

it was different.

After trying everything,dug out my old school light, stored in the same box with the dwell meter, and the timing was steady and dead nuts on.

Some lights don't like "multiple" sparks.
I used 2 different lights. Same thing. I guess I could understand how it ma be the timing light if it was jumping all over the place, but it is more consistent it just decreases timing by like 12-14* from idle to 3500 RPM. Ordered new timing set today. Going with Cloyes hex a just this time.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
this sounds correct i think cam would walk more at high rpm,what was the cam end play?
I can't remember, I think it was more than the allowable tolerance, which is what .001-.003? I am going to check all that when I pull it down.

As someone who has been self taught, I have made a few mistakes, and I believe this was definitely one of them. Maybe this is why the car hasn't ran what I felt like it should. I need to degree the cam while I have it apart again anyways...something else I didn't do. This is my first all out race motor, so some things definitely have been different than some of the street motors I have put together in the past.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.