Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
On the Box??? yes? thankyou... you can't be too careful with this black magic stuff lol

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
well guys I just finished installing a switch on the red wire near the box,,, the ignition switch now as before lights up the red led on the box showing there is power supply to the box,,,, Now when I open circuit the switch on the steering wheel, the box turns off just like it does with the ignition switch ,,, It works like I think it should, So I am believing all is well Thanks for the help everyone

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here's how we do it in the Nascar industry. It was mandated in the early 2000. Some will run the ignition wire though a steering wheel mounted switch. The only problem here is if the wheel is disconnected or the wiring fails the ignition will not operate. A jumper will be required for the ignition to function. What we always did was ground the white points wire. This will kill the ignition but it will be functional with the wheel removed or if the wiring breaks. It can also be done by grounding the tach wire.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
Here's how we do it in the Nascar industry. It was mandated in the early 2000. Some will run the ignition wire though a steering wheel mounted switch. The only problem here is if the wheel is disconnected or the wiring fails the ignition will not operate. A jumper will be required for the ignition to function. What we always did was ground the white points wire. This will kill the ignition but it will be functional with the wheel removed or if the wiring breaks. It can also be done by grounding the tach wire.
Hope this helps.

But that is not "fail safe" If the wiring/ contact breaks and you NEED to kill the engine, the safety switch will not function.

·
Registered
156 Posts
When it comes down to hundreds of thousands or millions, what would you prefer to fail. Your ignition, or a safeguard that may not be needed in the end?
In professional racing, the system is tested weekly multiple times and prior to each run and checked off.
Your ball

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hope this helps.
I did ground the white wire,,, but in my case for whatever reason the engine continued to run and would not shut off??? IDK

·
Registered
156 Posts
I did ground the white wire,,, but in my case for whatever reason the engine continued to run and would not shut off??? IDK
I don't know what to tell you. We built 100s of harnesses and cars this way not only with one box but 2 each car. All were bench tested and live tested and worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I don't know either,,, all I can state is what happened, and i am sure what you say is true,,, maybe a faulty switch, or something strange... Honestly I find wiring strange at the best of times,. None the less thank you for your input I appreciate all I get.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts