Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have you basic dragster that has the Grid ignition in it. 7720/7730

This past weekend at Indy I ran on Saturday with no issues at all. I unload on Sunday, drive the car up beside the motorhome, shut it off. Get the jack out, jack up the car, start it, warm it up as normal to 200* and shut it off. I went to start the car not 2 minutes later and it will not start.

I start searching everything and find that the 2 wires on the coil were loose. I think, there is my problem... Tighten them up, but still wont start. I find another coil, put it on, and still nothing. I replaced the cap, rotor, and coil again with a different coil and it starts but sounds like crap. I get the timing light out and the timing is at 20* (should be 32*) and is moving around, a lot! I then replaced the crank trigger pick up and when I start the car again its the same thing, except now the timing is at 26*. I moved the trigger to 32* and start the car and it sounds fine and is on 32* with the light.
I shut the car off wait a few minutes, start it again and it is running rough again, the timing is now moving around and then (still watching with the light), the engine "cleans up", and timing goes to 32*. It does this almost every time I start the motor and then cleans up for a bit then begins to run rough again.

I am lost at this point. I do not have any retards at all programmed in the ignition. I have changed everything except the ignition box and still no luck. I spoke to Peter today and emailed him a test run while the timing is moving and it doesn't show up in the file either.

I am open to any suggestions as to what to check or change????

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Try posting In the msd help thread in the electronic section. There are two or three tech guys that work for msd that frequent there and joe also knows a lot about it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did that and didn't get any response. Just thought I would throw it in here and see if anyone had any ideas. I want to get the parts ordered for the weekend.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
update the box, see if everything clears up. how long have you had it/been running it? Also a grid is not like other boxes. It's a computer. Your wiring has to be perfect (no but connectors blah blah) or like a car ecu, you will play hell with it

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did update the software in the box with the tech guy on the phone yesterday.
I had a buddy let me borrow his Grid ignition this morning. I started the car with my ignition and the problem was obvious. I installed his, started the car and no problems. I waited a few minutes and started the car again, still no issue. Did this a total of 4 times and no issue at all! Removed his, installed mine and the problem is there. I am pretty confident that its the ignition box. I had the timing light on it each and every time from the start.

update the box, see if everything clears up. how long have you had it/been running it? Also a grid is not like other boxes. It's a computer. Your wiring has to be perfect (no but connectors blah blah) or like a car ecu, you will play hell with it

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I did update the software in the box with the tech guy on the phone yesterday.
I had a buddy let me borrow his Grid ignition this morning. I started the car with my ignition and the problem was obvious. I installed his, started the car and no problems. I waited a few minutes and started the car again, still no issue. Did this a total of 4 times and no issue at all! Removed his, installed mine and the problem is there. I am pretty confident that its the ignition box. I had the timing light on it each and every time from the start.

Cool, sounds like you got it, i'd still go over the wiring. just want to make sure it's nothing there causing it that may have wiped his out eventually too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts