Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have a bbc, msd crank trigger, electric water pump, aerospace vacum pump and mandrel, my problem is the 5 inch mandrel doesnt spin my alt enough to charge at idle at stop light and voltage drops sub 11 volts with 140 amp alt.when the fuel pump a1000 is on, electric water pump, electric cooling fans, electric trans cooler fan it drives my psn and my gps speedo into reset every stop light I come to. I have the smallest pulley I can find on the alt 2.25 inch v belt, only thing I can think of would be to try to find some type of hybrid OEM pulley to try to make work with the msd crank trigger and the vacum pump mandrel. If anyone has any other ideas let me know this cant be the first time anyone has ever heard about this any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Not sure its your RPM causing the problem. It may be low but should still work depending on the alternator.
Have a good friend who was in the alternator business for years and he would do some tricks to make alternators charge at lower RPM.
Check with an alternator shop, may be the easy solution

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
What alty? A big ole 10si powermaster 140 doesn't charge well at idle type speeds. A newer CS 120, 122 will put out 100amps at 800 rpm...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What alty? A big ole 10si powermaster 140 doesn't charge well at idle type speeds. A newer CS 120, 122 will put out 100amps at 800 rpm...
New to this forum writing, been on this forum for years but couldnt get in my original account. Haven't used it in years

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Are you using a one wire or three wire alternator?

And I agree that more modern alternators have much better output at idle. Don't let max amperage confuse you.

·
Premium Member
4,600 Posts
Do you have room for a single v-belt pulley?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Weird. I run a one wire alt and at idle with everything turned on, headlights on high beam, A1000 pump, Meziere WP, badd azz spahl fan, 7AL3 with crank trigger. I read 13.8 v at the batteries.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,912 Posts
Weird. I run a one wire alt and at idle with everything turned on, headlights on high beam, A1000 pump, Meziere WP, badd azz spahl fan, 7AL3 with crank trigger. I read 13.8 v at the batteries.
Do you need to rev the engine above 2000rpm to get it to start charging? I have seen some that do that. Once it is charging you can let it go back down to idle and it keeps charging. I prefer my normal alternators, I can get them anywhere.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Do you need to rev the engine above 2000rpm to get it to start charging? I have seen some that do that. Once it is charging you can let it go back down to idle and it keeps charging. I prefer my normal alternators, I can get them anywhere.
To be honest I’m not sure. I’ll have to check it again while keeping the rpms at idle before I check it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts