Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an earlier MSD boost controler. I remember reading that there were 2 wires that needed to be switched. Could someone please let me know witch 2 wires need to be changed? Or at least correct me if I am wrong on this subject. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is a post I did a while back when I installed mine. I actually ran into two things being wrong - the installation instructions and the plug going to the MAP. Sorry for the long post. Clay

I've been in the process of installing a boost controller and have run into several problems - unfortunately both of them caused by MSD themselves. First problem was the diagram in their installation instructions for plumbing up a dual port wastgate. The boost contoller uses two valves - one to apply pressure and one to dump pressure on the back side of the wastegate piston and effectively change the spring pressure to adjust boost. Plumbed and wired like they show on page 5 of the instructions, it's actually backwards. Figured this out from two sources, one - it wouldn't build boost but the date showed it was trying to - two - on page 4 of the installation instructions it's shown connected the correct way. I started with a 2 bar M.A.P. sensor I had to start setting this thing up. When I plugged the sensor in, the unit wouldn't power up. Unplug the sensor and it would. Found out that the +5v and ground wires were backwards from what I had already hooked up. I noticed in Summit's catalog that they sell a specific MSD sensor so I guessed they did this on purpose so you would have to buy their sensor. I ordered one and when I plugged it in, it immediatly showed 45 p.s.i.a. I called MSD tech support and after not a lot of help, he pretty much concluded it was bad. Called Summit to see about sending it back and getting another one a.s.a.p. without buying another one. The customer service guy had a great solution - he e-mailed me a shipping label with a tracking number on it. As soon as I shipped it and it showed up in tracking, they would ship me another one and I wouldn't have to wait for it to get all the way back to Ohio. After a little more thinking, it turns out that MSD actually installed the +5v and the ground wires backwards in the weatherpak connector that plugs into the M.A.P. Got a pin removal tool, swapped the wires, and it appears to be working for now. I sent MSD an e-mail expressing my dissapoitment at their QC department and I'll post what they reply. I didn't need to ship the sensor back but I'll have to go on record saying that Summit racing was really doing a great job of trying to help me out - I'll call them on Monday and let them know I found the problem. I hope I can get this thing to the track next Saturday. Clay

·
Registered
315 Posts
Here is a post I did a while back when I installed mine. I actually ran into two things being wrong - the installation instructions and the plug going to the MAP. Sorry for the long post. Clay

I've been in the process of installing a boost controller and have run into several problems - unfortunately both of them caused by MSD themselves. First problem was the diagram in their installation instructions for plumbing up a dual port wastgate. The boost contoller uses two valves - one to apply pressure and one to dump pressure on the back side of the wastegate piston and effectively change the spring pressure to adjust boost. Plumbed and wired like they show on page 5 of the instructions, it's actually backwards. Figured this out from two sources, one - it wouldn't build boost but the date showed it was trying to - two - on page 4 of the installation instructions it's shown connected the correct way. I started with a 2 bar M.A.P. sensor I had to start setting this thing up. When I plugged the sensor in, the unit wouldn't power up. Unplug the sensor and it would. Found out that the +5v and ground wires were backwards from what I had already hooked up. I noticed in Summit's catalog that they sell a specific MSD sensor so I guessed they did this on purpose so you would have to buy their sensor. I ordered one and when I plugged it in, it immediatly showed 45 p.s.i.a. I called MSD tech support and after not a lot of help, he pretty much concluded it was bad. Called Summit to see about sending it back and getting another one a.s.a.p. without buying another one. The customer service guy had a great solution - he e-mailed me a shipping label with a tracking number on it. As soon as I shipped it and it showed up in tracking, they would ship me another one and I wouldn't have to wait for it to get all the way back to Ohio. After a little more thinking, it turns out that MSD actually installed the +5v and the ground wires backwards in the weatherpak connector that plugs into the M.A.P. Got a pin removal tool, swapped the wires, and it appears to be working for now. I sent MSD an e-mail expressing my dissapoitment at their QC department and I'll post what they reply. I didn't need to ship the sensor back but I'll have to go on record saying that Summit racing was really doing a great job of trying to help me out - I'll call them on Monday and let them know I found the problem. I hope I can get this thing to the track next Saturday. Clay
Page 4 is wrong. Page 5 is right. The pins being backwards could've been a manufacturing deal, nothing new. I was working with a nitrous setup once that wouldn't spray n2o just gas. Got down to the fittings on the plate and found that the brand new fitting from earls wasn't drilled all the way through. Stop wasting your time with the 3 bar MAP sensor, use the racepak 75psig sensor and monitor CO2 at the gate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts