Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Professor
90,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a problem with an 85551 distributor, I'm not getting an output to my ECU. Before I deem it defective I have some questinos. .

I took the dist apart to lock down the timing advance, put everything back together.

Anything you think I need to look at, I changed over the ignition and ECU in one shot, I am not getting a signal from the distributor to the ECU, I checked pin outs and continuity to the ECU. All seems OK. I can't seem to find a problem

Is it common these distributors have out of box failures?

·
Professor
90,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also should mention, measured resistance through the pickup coil, within spec.

·
Former RJ instigator
41,211 Posts
Is it common these distributors have out of box failures?
Common? I doubt it, unheard of? I doubt it.
Sounds like the pick took a dump, it happens.

If you just purchased the said dizzy new, why not just take it back, or call MSD direct, I'm sure they'll take care of it whatever the problem may be.

If I'm not mistaken, that dizzy takes a ford duraspark style pick-up, $30 autozone.
Cp

·
Professor
90,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's brand new, I'd send it back. I talked to a friend who does this, he said 500MV off the pickup when turning over the motor, going to check for that today.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Did it run fine before you pulled it apart to lock timing? Or did you lock timing out of the box and it doesn't work at all? Itcan be a deffective pick up, as it has been said, it is not usuall, but I have seen worse with brand new expensive parts...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Is this a new combo or are you just installing a new dizzy? Is the ECU set up for a VR pickup or is it set up for a hall effect (square wave) signal? Set up for rising or falling edge? What ecu?

·
Professor
90,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this a new combo or are you just installing a new dizzy? Is the ECU set up for a VR pickup or is it set up for a hall effect (square wave) signal? Set up for rising or falling edge? What ecu?
ECU is Motorvation. Not a new combo, but new ignition/ecu. I'm also running the 6AL digital box, which I programmed without a problem.

I pulled the stock ignition and fuel delivery. I am running piggy backing the Stock ECU.

The Motorvation runs fuel delivery, the stock ECU will run Speedo, AC, stuff like that.

This is a test of the MV ECU to see if I should be selling this as a solution where BS3 or Fast isn't necessary. I've heard a LOT of good things from people I trust on MV and I don't think it's the ECU at all. I tested for continuity from all the sensors to all the pins, even got a second ECU with the same results.

When I plugged into the ECU I can see all the sensors and all are giving readings EXCEPT for RPMs which comes off the Dist.

I have a request into MV today with the findings that I am getting 550 MV AC off the dist which is within spec.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts