Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok I am trying to run a 8.1l vortec with a msd 6ls, the 8.1 uses same firing order and as far as I know a 24x reluctor.
I have everything wired (had to switch wires (A) and (C) on the cam and crank sensors due to wiring differences. could not get any crank signal so I sent the box to msd and they sent me a brand new box still no crank signal so I bought a new crank sensor, still nothing.
I have the box grounded to battery and a relay powering the box when key is hot and during cranking. msd tech support is no help they say I have a bad crank sensor or reluctor but the engine ran when in the truck I pulled it from??? I am wanting to use my microsquirt for fuel because I already have one or two of them and cost

-has anyone used the fast ez-ls ignition controller

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
As long as you verify that the reluctor is correct and the cam phase is correct it should start. Are you getting a signal on the lap top for RPM? Try spinning it over with no plugs. This is a issue for some, not enough to RPM to register a signal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as you verify that the reluctor is correct and the cam phase is correct it should start. Are you getting a signal on the lap top for RPM? Try spinning it over with no plugs. This is a issue for some, not enough to RPM to register a signal.

just bought a 1000 ca battery and will report back, laptop shows that it is connected to pc and the map read out shows vacuum but no cranking rpm

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
You mentioned having to change some wiring around for the crank/cam sensors. Might look a little further into that. Even if it is right, might do a continuity test at a minimum. Sounds like a cool project.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive tried everything i looked at the wiring for the sensors many time i bought a new batt cables all new sensors, hooked it directly to the battery still nothing. Msd has failed to evan try and help me so im going to return the msd. Anybody know of a ignition controller for a ls style set up that dosnt cost more than 450 ? Any experiance with a fast ez-ls and the tunability of them

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bumping this one back to life. I'm having the same bloody issue. I have a vortec 8.1l. Converted it to carb. Hooked up the MSD 6010 system and im getting the same problem. No RPM registering. I checked the cam position sensor and the crank position sensor. Both are metering out correctly. So there is no issue with the halls sensors. The engine is spinning plenty fast at this point with the starter. Im running dual optima yellow tops, and currently no spark plugs. Still, Nothing. I even replaced the MSD box thinking this would be the issue. Technical support has been shit for assistance. Is there any software out there that allows you to delve a little deeper into the 6010 operating systems? Or am I screwed here with a need to just ditch the MSD and go with a distributor?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I would hook up an oscilloscope and see if you are actually getting a signal. is the ring and the sensor the same part numbers as an LS?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts