Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, maybe it's just cause it's humid as hell in the shop today and my brain has melted but I just can't seem to get this figured out.

Have a customers 01 Camaro here, it had stock EFI on it with a Lingenfelter 2 step box.. I removed that and was going to piggy back the MSD 6010 to it for timing, 2 step, and nitrous retard control...
I get it all wired up with the correlating EFI adapter harness from MSD, crank it up, all I get is some backfiring and a Cam Syn Fail... Now I've done these before so I grab a 16v battery and toss it in it, thinking I need more cranking speed.. Same result...

So I call MSD, go through the whole deal, basically they say it won't work.. This engine has an LS2 front cover, but an LS1 crank sensor, so they say that can't work.
However if it had a carb, it would work, tons of people do that he says...

I try some more stuff, still nothing..
Finally the customer says, just throw a carb on it(which I wanted to do when I first built it).. So I get all the parts in today, throw it together.....................:-damnit
Same shit.
I do not have a 16v battery in house today, so I haven't tried that. I've got two known good cam sensors here that I've swapped into this thing..
What else could it be?
I've got fuel, good coils, good sensors, good cranking battery and starter..

This was a running and driving vehicle, just wanted to upgrade electronics...

·
Registered
499 Posts
When using the ls2 style sensor and cover are you using the 1x cam gear?or the newer 2006 and up 4x cam gear? , if you use the factory style "jumper harness" the 6 inch harness that goes In between the Msd plug and the cam sensor it should be ok, but if not, and you have the Msd plug directly plugged into the cam sensor you will need to de pin the MSD connector and swap the 2 outer wires , as the factory "jumper harness " does this for you

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, it does have a 1X cam gear on it..
I swapped the A and C wires and it fired up, let it cool off and tried it again fired up..
Now it is doing the same thing again, I believe I need to install a resistor on the 12v wire going to the cam sensor to reduce voltage?

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the resistor and a new cam sensor it has been working all morning..
Just need to finishing up some nitrous wiring now and it's ready to go home. Thanks guys for your input, I was beating myself up over this darn thing, another reason Yellow Bullet is the best site out there!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Good to see you got it fixed. I wonder what the first MSD tech was thinking? I mean, it's working now, you just have to get that one small little detail before the entire set-up will work. I'm sure that has caused more than one headache in the past, but it's not written down in any one of their technical documents on the 6010, atleast I couldnt find it anyhow. If anyone else has, please show us.

I also find it odd that the 24x box uses a 5v reference for the cam sensor?? The GM factory 24x pcm uses a 12v reference for both sensors, cam and crank. GM started using a 5v reference when they went to 58x. Why MSD didnt follow that pattern, I dont know? I'd love to hear something about it though.

Anyways, I'm glad you worked it out with some help from guys on this site. Thank God for these forums, where would we be without them... :cool::D

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Also, to add to the second paragraph, maybe they could add pull up/down resistors internally that could be switched on or off in programming?? Maybe they are already there??? :smt102

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems the ls2 cam sensor with a 1x cam gear, and a 24x crank are common with carb swap guys.. I was searching a bunch the other day and TONS of guys had the same issues, and everyone called MSD tech to try and figure it out.
Why not just include it in the instructions for the kit. *When using ls2 cam sensor, swap A and C wires and install resistor across*
I did happen to find that GM did make an early LS2 cam sensor which used a 12v signal, instead of the 5v signal.. However that sensor is now discontinued.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yes, I agree %100. Throw us a bone over here MSD. :D

The kicker is that all the gm front cover mounted cam sensors work with a 5v or 12v reference. Dosent matter. But they do have two part numbers which the difference in the two is pin A and C are flip flopped. They also make a short adapter harness that has the flip flop built in so... GM has covered their ground. MSD's deal is that the 6010 box requires a 5v signal input from the cam sensor but supplies a 12v signal output to the cam sensor. Hence the need for the mystery resistor. Mind Boggling I say. Lol

·
Registered
499 Posts
Glad you had figured it out, MSD really thru me for a loop, they had my cam sensor plug and my MAP sensor plugs swapped, the detents wouldn't plug into either sensor corectly, so after figuring out the 2 plugs on my own I had the swap pin A and C thing figured out from this site... Maybe it's an honest mistake or maybe they assembled my harness at 10 mins to closing time on a Friday and didn't give a shit, other than that mines worked flawless

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also the Resistor You can get from Radio Shack Its called a
1K Half Watt solder it making a jump from A to C wires . Had The same Problem with my 05 Corvette . did the flop with the a,c Wires it fired right up but it was still breaking up bad installed the resistor and Bamm Runs like a champ..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts