Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a 555ci BBc with a single 114mm.....I have 2 MSD 10-plus boxes with coils......The truck will be seeing street duty....will this ignition work or should I go with the Digital 7-plus(7531)? I just want what is going to work best for street and strip. Any inforation is greatly appreciated. Thanks YB!!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Keep the 10 and run it with a 7531. Depending on your powel level, etc., the 7531 box may not fire it alone.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Keep the 10 and run it with a 7531. Depending on your powel level, etc., the 7531 box may not fire it alone.
X2 That will give you the best spark, but unless you're running methanol, the 7531 alone should work fine. I'm not sure how the 10 box will last on the street though.

And Yes, you run the 10 box for power and the 7531 for programability, piggbacked together I've heard...

·
Registered
871 Posts
how would you piggy back them together (wiring digram?)

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
X2 That will give you the best spark, but unless you're running methanol, the 7531 alone should work fine. I'm not sure how the 10 box will last on the street though.

And Yes, you run the 10 box for power and the 7531 for programability, piggbacked together I've heard...

LOL, actually for some poor reason we reached the limits of a 7531 with my engine on C-16. Steve put a 10 box piggy backed with his Digital 7 on it to cure the dropping cylinders but we are gonna throw a 8Plus on the car with the 7531 we already have per MSD's suggestion.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
U can also piggyback a promag44 if u need to
imma try that since they don't produce the 10s anymore itmight b hard to get replacemt parts
are you running efi now? If so u can probably use it to trigger the 10/mag

·
Registered
619 Posts
jake, im also having a problem droping a cyl about 3 sec. into a run, and it wont pick it back up untill i lift. my combo is on meth. did the 8 plus box cure your problem? i am also just using a 7531.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
U can also piggyback a promag44 if u need to
imma try that since they don't produce the 10s anymore itmight b hard to get replacemt parts
are you running efi now? If so u can probably use it to trigger the 10/mag

Yea they wanted us to go with a Mag also but there just isnt room for it under the rear facing carb hat and I didnt like the idea of mortgaging the farm for a Mag and box for it and a custom drive to make it all work.
I also understand they are supposed to continue making the 10 boxes till the end of the year and will continue to service them even after that. But they vowed the 8Plus was a WAY better box than the 10.
We havent gotten the motor in the car with an 8Plus box yet(just heading home with the engine from the dyno). But unless someone makes a better solution in a week we hope to get the 8Plus for the car(if we can even find one in stock that is).

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts

From MSD

This illustrates what changes need to be made in the 7531 data editor screen when using a 7531 to an MSD 8, 10, or promag

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I think the advantage would be if you ran a 7531 T so you could "ride the dots"...

The advantage of a standard 7531 would be all the timing retards and other functions you would be able to use.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Sorry,I was thinking of a different box.I just looked at a 8979 and it does seem to do most everything a 7531 does. I dont think it will do what a 7531 "T" will do though?

There is so many choices in igns it hurts my head..

·
Registered
595 Posts
i was under the impression the 7531T had traction control detection and that you want a 7531 because it does everything but doesn't have the detection which stalls the box

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So from what I have read so far....it sounds like the 10 plus will work....but be noisey, possibly get hot, and I need to piggy back it off of another control device (7531, 8979, or the 8977)......Thats what I needed to know......I am sure once I get home from Iraq I will be posting more questions.....lol.

What noise does the 10 plus make?

Thanks YBers for the responses!!!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts