Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get a 29.5x10.5 tire and 15x12" wheel on my stock suspension 69 camaro and it is going to requiring moving the leaf springs inward. What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this? I am going to move them in from the stock location but they will still remain as close to the tire as possible.

What about if the leaf springs end up angled front to back. Will there be any issues with that?

Thanks.

·
YB Liar and Chief
29,163 Posts
You have the single leaf and are you planning on keeping them?

·
Registered
994 Posts
If you look closely your springs are already angled. My understanding is GM did that to help with handling. I just did the mod you are thinking about on my 70 Nova. It's been done thousands of times and you won't see any difference in handling with a drag car. I went with sliders in the rear, made my own sub-frame connectors with front leaf spring mount.

I assume you plan to minin tub the car and shave the rear frame rails? I know Camaros have a little more room for tire than a Nova. I went with 325/50/15's and had to trim the frame rails quite a bit.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you look closely your springs are already angled. My understanding is GM did that to help with handling. I just did the mod you are thinking about on my 70 Nova. It's been done thousands of times and you won't see any difference in handling with a drag car. I went with sliders in the rear, made my own sub-frame connectors with front leaf spring mount.

I assume you plan to minin tub the car and shave the rear frame rails? I know Camaros have a little more room for tire than a Nova. I went with 325/50/15's and had to trim the frame rails quite a bit.
Yes...the car is getting some new tubs for more tire clearance. It sounds like there shouldnt be any issues. I am not sure on the rear sliders just yet. I will talk to my chassis builder and see if he plans on putting the sliders in the rear.

Thanks.

·
YB Liar and Chief
29,163 Posts
Take note of center of contact patch to spring centerline. How much that changes will effect what needs done. Alot of people lighten up there cars and don't lighten up the suspension appropriately. Big hp will require swaybar. If you barely have power to turn the tires then stiffening suspension may be required to unhook the car. Its all about maintaining proper wheel rate for traction/power available. I have a slight bias against mono leafs. Not for application purposes but for safety purposes. When they break things happen. Especially high hp. I like wrappers on everything. Wrapper is second leaf wrapping the eyes of the spring. Here is a link to the type of situation I like:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techar...nsion_leaf_spring_military_wrap/photo_05.html

·
YB Liar and Chief
29,163 Posts
Also, I wanted to add:

This is also a "Berlin" eye. Has slight crook instead of straight. Berlin is stronger than conventional. My family owned a spring shop for many years. I've rolled those eyes many times. I use to make ubolts with Cold Roll/threading machine/torch/manual bender. Times have really changed. That was in the 70's. I later designed many springs of different types. I have used this technique many times.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Camaroman7D

I would like to see some of the pics of your move as I am debating this as well but on a nova. I don;t think the angled part will make a differnece, I am more interested in the amount of rail you removed and if it is a street car, how the sliders will react to street driving.

Thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
Camaroman7D

I would like to see some of the pics of your move as I am debating this as well but on a nova. I don;t think the angled part will make a differnece, I am more interested in the amount of rail you removed and if it is a street car, how the sliders will react to street driving.

Thanks
If you go here: http://community.webshots.com/user/camaroman7d
and look under the Nova album there are pictures. I need to take more pictures and update the album, the sheetmetal is all done and the car is a roller now. If you don't see what you're looking for send me a PM and I will try to get pictures for you. I went back and forth on the slider thing, but after talking to a lot of guys I was convinced it was the better way to go for what I'm doing (Caltracs), I even think they recommend them as well.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
This is how my chassis guy did mine. It's still a roller under construction so I have no idea how it will work. He tied the sliders into the cage in the trunk so it looks kinda funny but I think it will work. On the front he just took the stock spring buckets off trimmed off one of the ears and welded it to the car. Sounds kinda weird but it looks functional. I would have some better pics but I took it all down to repaint.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think you will find your trunk floor drops down right beside your rear shackle. If you use the slider, it will be inside the trunk floor. Detroit speed makes an off set shackle that will move it in 1 3/4" and stay under the floor. The are a couple of hundre dollars for a set. If you use a off set shackle like competition engineering makes it will raise the back of your car since the shackle moves down to stay under the trunk floor.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I agree with hhr. Thats why my sliders are in the trunk because I wanted the car to sit a little lower. If I wanted to raise it any all I have to do is put a shim in between the slider and the mount.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts