Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watch a lot of old reruns on air tv.
How much in royalties do the actors get paid when the shows are aired?
Does everyone involved in the production make something?
Or just the cast?
What if the performer has passed?
Do the royalties go to his/her heirs?

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
Cory Wells was on a Beverley Hillbilly's show with Three Dog Night. Didn't even pay McDonald's dinner money.That stuff is way over rated.

·
Registered
16,123 Posts
An interesting post from another web site...

I've heard Vicky Lawrence say that her residuals for Mama's Family were something like $100 per month- not much at all. In a recent interview with the very bitter actor Kevin Hagen (best known as Doc Baker on Little House on the Prairie) he said he receives about $8 per week (but then he never had a contract- he said that if he'd had a contract instead of being pay for play he'd have earned well over $1 million since the show's demise [which was the point of the article, a 'Michael Landon was a greedy scumbucket' rant]).

Some residuals trivia:

Jack Klugman & Tony Randall both earned much much more from residuals than from the series The Odd Couple. Ditto Werner "Col. Klink" Klemperer, and Bob Crane died very strapped for cash but had he lived a few more years he'd have earned millions as his residuals actually increased [I think he owned a part of the show, which is where the real money is). (I don't think the producers realized quite how much money was in syndication during the late 60s and early 70s and thus they signed away more than they would today to moderately successful stars.)

Redd Foxx, who had a lifelong history of really bad business practices, signed over his residuals to Sanford & Son in a divorce settlement rather than pay his wife something like $800,000 and consequently he died penniless and she is still raking it in.

In the 1990s Audrey Meadows was still receiving residuals from The Honeymooners. She was the only member of the cast to have demanded them during contract negotiation.

None of the children from The Brady Bunch and none of the castaways from Gilligan's Island received residuals after the third repeat. Carol (Florence Henderson), Alice (Ann B. Davis) and the estate of Mike (Robert Reed) still receive them however; the kids got royally screwed by their management evidently.

·
Banned
23,371 Posts
An interesting post from another web site...

I've heard Vicky Lawrence say that her residuals for Mama's Family were something like $100 per month- not much at all. In a recent interview with the very bitter actor Kevin Hagen (best known as Doc Baker on Little House on the Prairie) he said he receives about $8 per week (but then he never had a contract- he said that if he'd had a contract instead of being pay for play he'd have earned well over $1 million since the show's demise [which was the point of the article, a 'Michael Landon was a greedy scumbucket' rant]).

Some residuals trivia:

Jack Klugman & Tony Randall both earned much much more from residuals than from the series The Odd Couple. Ditto Werner "Col. Klink" Klemperer, and Bob Crane died very strapped for cash but had he lived a few more years he'd have earned millions as his residuals actually increased [I think he owned a part of the show, which is where the real money is). (I don't think the producers realized quite how much money was in syndication during the late 60s and early 70s and thus they signed away more than they would today to moderately successful stars.)

Redd Foxx, who had a lifelong history of really bad business practices, signed over his residuals to Sanford & Son in a divorce settlement rather than pay his wife something like $800,000 and consequently he died penniless and she is still raking it in.

In the 1990s Audrey Meadows was still receiving residuals from The Honeymooners. She was the only member of the cast to have demanded them during contract negotiation.

None of the children from The Brady Bunch and none of the castaways from Gilligan's Island received residuals after the third repeat. Carol (Florence Henderson), Alice (Ann B. Davis) and the estate of Mike (Robert Reed) still receive them however; the kids got royally screwed by their management evidently.
Alan Hale stated that there were no residuals at all. You got paid for your performance, and that was it. :smt102 Kevin Sorbo claims he has never received any residuals from his Hercules TV show. From what's stated above, I'd have to assume that if you had a good, smart agent, you might have been lucky enough to have it written into your contract. If not, tough luck. On the flip side, once you've completed your work, why should there being any spiff at all? Any additional profits should go to the studio for new shows.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
I have wondered about this a few times. Some of my favorite shows from way back had actors and actresses that don't seem to be working anymore. I've wondered how they support themselves.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
looks like eddie munster does car shows, autograph deals and if you have a car dealership I think you can book him to show up with dragula and munster coach, travels around with a dually and enclosed trailer.

·
Which is more disturbed?
10,577 Posts
In movies you only get something after the film is released if you have a back end deal in your contract or you are a writer/producer of the film, in TV an actor will only get residuals for one re airing if it's even in their contract. If you make it to one hundred episodes and get to another contract you can negotiate royalties if the show goes into syndication. Most people think that because you are in re runs you are getting something at that is not true, if you are in SAG you do receive a talent check quarterly which is based off how much work you have done and some of those checks are pretty decent but nothing you could live off of. Someone mentioned Friends, they got screwed like everyone does for the first couple of seasons but then they went on strike and renegotiated their contracts and got much better deals including future media earnings which are dvd's or re airings on non TV like Youtube or NetFlix.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.