Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is it best to mount rear shocks vertical or at a slight angle such as 6 degrees?

Please list pros and cons

Thanks,

CraigS

·
Registered
570 Posts
the shocks should tilt forward slightly in the same arc as the rear suspension. imaging the rear shock as the front shock of an a-arm car and think of it that way.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I think an angle mount makes the shock softer than the same shock mounted verticle. More angle means more soft. I use to run mine at 15 degrees plus they were in front of the axel. In front of the axel required a stronger spring plus the shock was extra soft. JMO, RM

·
Registered
570 Posts
think of the suspension as a bar hinged on one end and the shock/spring assembly is on the other end 90* to the bar , it has 100% effectivness any change in the angle of the shock/spring assembly lowers the effectivness

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand the the back to front angle, but what I am referring to is from side to side.
If you were standing at the back of the car looking at the rear end.
I have seen some mount the shocks at a slight angle (Tappering out from top to bottom).
Is there any reason as to why this might be done over straight up and down?

Thanks again for all the replies,

CraigS

·
T/S 368E
33,585 Posts

Cars too low for vertical, is what I was told?? That little bit of angle helps make it fit. Mine are angled, that's why I asked.

·
Registered
570 Posts
look at it the same way any tilt in the shock will reduce its effectiveness, side to side or front to back. tilting the shocks (a small amount) is common practice for some builders just for packaging, nothing wrong with it and actually has gains on lightweight cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts