Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
The rear windows in my car do not fit worth a crap, so I got some Marguard and cut it to fit in it's place
I want to put the factory trim over top and hide any screws or rivets
I am looking for ideas or pics of what guys do for this. I don't want rivets or screws inside, would like to keep it a clean set up
any pics or ideas is appreciated
thanks
Tom

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
thread inserts or nut serts I put these in my car where I could not put a nut on the back side there was a post a while back that galbasch put up some pics on this set up it was very clean and nice install but I could never find the post it was in the chassis section

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Camaro 77 and 95 Renegade for your replies. I am working with fiberglass, so I cannot tap the body
I had looked into rivenuts, but the problem is that I have to really curve the window to fit and am afraid I will make a mess of the Marguard while tryng to align and dril lthe holes (rear windows)
I may try to layer narrow strips of Lexan, screw them from under the rear window lip and then screw the Marguard to the Lexan
I am unable to find a better way to do this, but am still open to and appreciate all input

·
Registered
202 Posts
Are you mounting the factory trim w/ the factory clips ?

If so, just lay the black urethene window ribbon in the channel, set the lexan, and push the trim down until it locks in.

Once the urethane sets, the lexan isnt coming out. No need for rivets or screws.
Had my windows (front/back) done this way and had no issues at 8.0s / 168

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I would warn the window up a little bit to have it be more formed so in will be relaxed when installed and there will be a lot less pressure on the screws make a nice template out of some poster board and the rivnuts should work fine make sure you get the correct grip and I would not worry about it

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for your replies
Tuff Guy, I have the factory trim and clips. 64-67 had the one pc rear window glued in...63 has rubber ( I have it)
I had some lexan that I tried to heat and bend as camaro 77 suggested, but it did not work out as well as I had planned(big heat mark on one spot)
I bought Marguard now, but the windows have a big curve on the sides,(75* bend/curve) making it hard to try to bend and hold if it is a flat piece
If I could hold the curve, somehow, I could install it in the factory rubber.
Thanks again for the suggestions. I am trying to think of trying to hold the shape/curve of the window, but I am afraid to re heat it

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well the pic is a tad big ..sorry about that
I bought some 1/4 in aluminum and cut it into strips, then hand formed them to the shape of the body curves ( front and back) I will align them to the body and Marguard, rivet it to the marguard, the either fit it to the rubber or silicone it in place

I will trim the aluminum more for width and this will not be visible with the trim on

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This ended up being a major P.I.T.A. I have the windows in, with rubber and trim on. It is not perfect but not bad. I'll go at it again when I paint the car

·
Registered
335 Posts
Did you buy the margard lexan and cut it yourself to fit??

I am wanting to use something like this for my 70 camaro to loose some weight at the track.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the late reply, I did not notice that this topic had a response/question

I cut the Marguard to fit, but I had wanted them to fit in the factory rubber. I did not like what I ended up with and bought pre formed windows from pro Glass. I can put them in with the factory rubber, and will in the next few weeks
If you do not mind screwing the window in, you could do it yourself, but if you want it to go in with the factory rubber, I would just buy it from pro Glass
This was a major p.i.t.a. . This is to be for the street as well, so I don't want screws inside the car to hold the rear windows in place
take care
Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts